This tip will make your life easy when you have more than one installation of umbraco in IIS on your dev machine.
In vista and win7 you can have more than one website defined but what about localhost binding or domain binding? How can you define a website to listen to a domain other than localhost?
- Go to IIS and create a new website, point to your folder where your files exist.
- In bindings define a domain for that. Not a real one. eg. projectforclient1
- Open notepad (with admin priviledges (run as administrator)). Navigate to windows\system32\drivers\etc. Tell notepad to show all files (*.*). There you will find the hosts file.
- Add a line to the bottom like this:
- 127.0.0.1 projectforclient1
Navigate to your umbraco through http://projectforclient1
Repeat these steps for any umbraco installation you want to make.
To speed up the editing of the HOSTS file, you can create a desktop shortcut with this content C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts