Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 20:08
    Matt Brailsford

Can you change a members MemberType?

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a project where we have 2 types of users "Members" and "Artists". For "Members" we are just collecting basic information, but for "Artists" we call the same basic info plus some additional peices of info. My initial though was to create 2 member types, with the different properties and then also create a group for each. I then started thinking, it should be possible that a "Member" can upgrade to become an "Artist". Now as I understand it, the member types work in a similar way to document types for nodes which I know there is no way of changing their type after creation.

So my question is this. Say I went with this approach and a "Member" wants to upgrade to be an "Artist", can you change their member type? Or should I be creating one member type, and limiting what fields they have access to based upon their role? (I'm looking for the best practise approach really, as we are expecting this app to have many users, so I want to make sure I choose the right approach).

Many thanks

Matt

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 20:50
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Matt,

You are correct, member-types are the same as document-types.  Once you create a member, you can't change their member-type!

There are a couple of ways to tackle your problem:

• Duplicate the "Artist" fields for the "Member" (along with another field for "upgraded", so you can distinguish them).
    • Develop code to upgrade a "Member" to an "Artist", meaning that you would create a new member (based on the "Artist" member-type) and copy across the original "Member" data ... then delete the original member.  Obviously this may knacker any other business logic you may have that deals with member Ids?

Cheers, Lee.

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Feb 27, 2010 @ 11:23
    Matt Brailsford

Hmmm, I guess you could go with the second option, and on the entity store "PreviousID" or something so you can tie any data back to the new entity?

Matt

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 27, 2010 @ 12:13
    Morten Bock

I think I would go with the role based approach so you have a tab with "Member" info, and one with "Artist" info, and then decide which fields to show based on the groups they are members of.

Alternatively, if you don't want to clutter your membertype, then you could just have the basic info in there, and get the profile data from somewhere else (custom db table). This would probably scale a bit better if you decide to add more groups in the future which all need different info on them.

• Tony 4 posts 75 karma points hq
    Aug 28, 2021 @ 00:08
    Tony

To answer the original question: I guess the safe way would be to copy the members from one memberType to another, and then delete the original member via the Umbraco API. In version 8 the following code should work:

The code below is copied from the following repo: https://gitlab.com/umbracohowto/ourumbraco7497

private static readonly string targetMemberContentTypeAlias = "Member";
    private static readonly string sourceMemberContentTypeAlias = "specialMember";
    private static readonly string processedMemberPrefix = $"{targetMemberContentTypeAlias} # ";

var targetMembers = Services.MemberService.GetMembersByMemberType(targetMemberContentTypeAlias).Where(m => !m.Name.StartsWith(processedMemberPrefix));
        foreach (var member in targetMembers)
        {
                var newMember = Services.MemberService.CreateWithIdentity(member.Username, member.Email, member.RawPasswordValue, sourceMemberContentTypeAlias);

member.Name = $"{processedMemberPrefix}{member.Name}";
                member.Username = $"{processedMemberPrefix}{member.Username}";
                Services.MemberService.Save(member);
                Services.MemberService.Delete(member);

}

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft