Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 24, 2014 @ 14:59
    Nick

culture and hostnames difference between culture and domains

Hello,

can you explain me what is the difference between culture settings and domain settings in the "culture and hostnames" context menu?

What I have understood is:

• If I add a new domain starting from a specific node, the URLs of nodes below the current node will be created with that domain --> e.g. If i add "www.mysite.com/en" as domain for the current node, all nodes below the current node (where i set the domain) will be reached with the url: www.mysite.com/en/nodename.aspx

I understand this option, but what is the option above (Culture - Language) for?
    In the explanation of the "Domains" settings they say "better use the culture setting above"...but how can I replace this type of domain setting just with the above option ("Culture - Language")?

Can you explain a scenario of a correct multi language website configuration?

Thanks

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Sep 24, 2014 @ 15:18
    Dan Lister

Hi Nick,

When a culture is specified for a node, this mostly determines what language to use when finding dictionary items. For example, if you add a domain with a culture of de-DE, german dictionary translations will be used.

The domain settings provide a way of mapping hostnames to a node and specifying what language a domain will use. For example, you could have multiple domains on a node, each with a different language. In this scenario, each domain will display the same node but have different translations for any dictionary items used.

The option above you mention allows nodes to inherit their parent culture. I generally do not use this option as I mostly define the culture with the domain.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

Thanks, Dan.

• Nick 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 24, 2014 @ 16:10
    Nick

Now it is all clear, thanks!

Bye

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft