Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Barg 358 posts 532 karma points
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 19:10
    Richard Barg

Determining Where a Media Library Image is Used in Content

We are using a back office extension

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/thefarm-media-link-checker

and it doesn't seem to work and i have posted on that discussion group.

Is there an alternative way of determining where a media image is being used in the content, if at all?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 15, 2013 @ 01:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Richard

What version of Umbraco are you using the above package on?

As far as I know there does not exist any other packages currently that does this job - therefore some custom coding will be required atm.

/Jan

• Richard Barg 358 posts 532 karma points
    Mar 15, 2013 @ 16:12
    Richard Barg

This issue is clearly of importance to content editors. This is a capability that should be built into the  Umbraco core.  If a content editor wants to know where an image in the  media library appears in the content, this is a fairly basic feature. Similarly, if a content editor has inserted an image from the media library at some point and then returned to the page, he or she should be able to instantly determine where that image is in the media library.  Again, this is a very basic requirement.  It should not require a developer to write complex SQL queries or add-on packages.

If your boss comes to you and asks you to change an image or remove it because the license expired,  are you going to tell the boss, Oh sorry, Umbraco HQ didn't think that was important.  I guess I will have to go thru every image in the media library to find the one  in question. Of course, people use folders to help them organize the media images, but why the relationship between  images and their related content are not readily apparent and easily discernible is a puzzle to me.

In version 4.9 or thereabouts, Umbraco HQ created a new flashy looking media library.  Unfortunately it did nothing to address the opaqueness of the relationship between images and content where they are used.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 23, 2013 @ 14:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Richard

I agree that it's frustrating not being able to figure out where a media item is being used and that it's not easy to figure out if there are any broken links on the site etc. Doing it manually can potentially be a really time-consuming task, which is just a waste of time.

However now we now it's one of the shortcomings in Umbraco. Personally I would not hesitate to either work on making this feature in the core or as a 3rd party package if I had the skills to do it. Unfortunately I don't don't have that kind of skills. But it's my hope that when companies find these shortcomings they would care to contribute rather than just ranting about the missing features. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly valid to rant and be frustrated about bugs, missing features etc. - I have been there myself many times. However it's still important to remember that Umbraco is an open source project and the HQ have a lot of stuff to do. In order for umbraco to grow and mature it's highly dependant on contributions from developers, project managers, editors and markeing people all around the world. So I think it's great to bring issues on the table so it can be adressed and a proper solution can be provided either by HQ, or by some developer/companies doing contributions to the core.

I have not checked the issue tracker lately but I will urge you to create a feature request about this in the issue tracker since it would be nice to have this in the core indeed. If you decide to do so please post the issue url in here so others can go and vote it up. That's the best way to get your voice heard and have people vote it up to create awareness about the missing features.

Cheers,
    Jan 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft