Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rick 34 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 15:46
    Rick

Using Umbraco As An "End User" Website Creation Tool

First let me say that I really like Umbraco. I just need to know if it can do what I need to meet the requirements of my new project.

I need to create a website(web app) that allows users to signup and create their own website. They would be able to point their domains to their content throught the interface. I know that I can do this type of setup with DNN but I would much rather use Umbraco. The membership provider would allow them to have members of their sites as well.

I would like to develop subscription based modules that dove tail their website needs such as Forums, Blogs, etc. Umbraco would server as my application base and the features would be modules that can be added by the end-user for addition subscription costs.

Is there a way to do this with Umbraco?

• Rick Mather 42 posts 124 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 16:44
    Rick Mather

It's pretty easy to create nodes, member groups and assign hostnames etc using the API so it all sounds perfectly feasible in Umbraco.

It might be a lot of extra work if you can already do all of this in DNN however - been quite a while since I used that system and am not a great fan of it, but it is well suited to portals if you don't mind sacrificing some flexibility.

• Rick 34 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 17:03
    Rick

This would be considered a user portal implementation?

Do you know if anyone has implemented Umbraco in this way before? I would much rather use Umbraco for this as it is sooo much more flexible than DNN. Could you suggest an education path?

Also, can you auto provision hostnames through the API without the need to have personel manually updating IIS?

Thanks for you time. I really appreciate it.

• Raxit 26 posts 46 karma points
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 08:11
    Raxit

Hi Rick,

Would love to hear feedback on how well Umbraco did to implement solution you mentioned above since we are also considering Umbraco as our base platform to implement such kind of solution for our upcoming product line.

Any help or learning path on those lines from experts around will be highly appreciated.

Awaiting reply... Thank you for your time in looking into this.

- Raxit

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft