Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vishal G.P 62 posts 122 karma points
    Aug 23, 2011 @ 11:49
    Vishal G.P

Reset admin password for umbraco in Database

Hey peepz,

i have a restored a database from another sql server to my local sql server and i want to change the admin password from database because i dont know it..

I search this forum for solutions and tried to add a known hastag for 'default' to the database but no luck.. (but i wonder if this ever works, cause the keys to generate a hash are different per server right?)

So i really need to get into my CMS.. so i was wondering if anyone has a solution for me. 

Its a clean server, so i have no other umbraco databases running on this local sql server..

running umbraco 4.7... 

In one post there was also someone mentioning to check permission settings? Which permission settings and where can i find them?

can anyone help.. thanks in advance.

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 23, 2011 @ 12:59
    Michael Latouche

Hello,

Your solution would work if you use the same encryption ey, which you can specify in your web.config file. Generate the "default" hash with that same key and it should work.

Otherwize, I think it is possible to specify "clear" passwords in the membership provider definition for backend users. What you then might want to do is this:

• set the admin password to whatever you want in clear text
    • login to back-end
    • create a new Member (not user, Member), for which you have letft the password settings to Hash, use the same  password as for your admin user
    • get the hashed password from the member and copy it to your admin user
    • set back pwd settings to Hash for youe users as well.

I don't know if this is the most efficient way, but at least it should work.

By the way, did you check that you could actually connect to your database? Sometimes with restore of databases from other servers, the SQL users get mixed up and must be reset.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Michael.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft