Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andles 44 posts 64 karma points
    Apr 02, 2011 @ 05:15
    andles

Folder and File browser

I'd like to implement a 'windows explorer' like UI such that users can naviagte a set of folders and files. An administrator would potentially add these via Umraco using doc types that represeent each file or folder - and they may be recursive such that there were multiple levels.

The current MVC app has the admin use FTP to move files to the server, and these are simply listed on a page in the site (it is currently a flat structure - but the requiremenst is to change that)

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andles

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Apr 02, 2011 @ 08:29
    Daniel Bardi

Why not just have a folder structure on the server to store files and create a usercontrol on the front to display the files in hierarchal structure.  I think the use of doctypes for files might be over thinking.. maybe a property on a doctype to specify a root folder.

Apr 02, 2011 @ 09:20
    andles

Yeah, had conidered that as an option. But not sure how this is much better than the current solution where we use FTP. The thinking here was that we'd no longer use FTP clients, just Umbraco, to manage the document uploads, folder creation etc. The docs may also need to have a bunch of meta data attached to it - hence the doc type.

If there is no handy dandy Umraco feature for this - I think I may need to do as you suggest. This would be simpler in fact as the MVC app could potentially remain as is - no need to use Umraco.

Cheers,
    Andy

Apr 02, 2011 @ 09:53
    Daniel Bardi

You can use the media section instead of the content section.  

Are you needing a way to upload into umbraco (i.e. media items) from the front end?

There is the MediaUploader but you need to be in the back end to use it..

I'd recommend building a control utilizing the umbraco API to expose the media items on the front end along with a multi-file upload tool such as Uploadify (http://www.uploadify.com/).  After files are uploaded, create media items for them.. if a zip is uploaded, create a directory and extract on the server.\

Make Sense?

/Daniel

Apr 02, 2011 @ 11:58
    andles

I see where what you are saying, though when you say "after  are uploaded, create media items for them" do you mean to programattically respond to the upload using the Umraco API to create the media items? I assume so and will go find the docs on that aspect of the api.

Ticking this as the correct answer, and thank you for your guidance here.

Cheers,
    Andles

Apr 02, 2011 @ 21:04
    Daniel Bardi

Very glad I could help.. good luck with the API solution... you'll love it.

Thanks for the karma!  :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft