Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• aaronb 97 posts 116 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 23:07
    aaronb

Member login still possible without development knowledge?

I remember creating a basic login section a while ago which used a package called umbraco membercontrols. I think I watched a screencast on a pretty old version of umbraco which walked you through setting up the login form pages etc.

I now have another project which needs the same functionality, but I can't find any mention of the membercontrols package. Searching turned up the advice to 'use the standard asp.net login controls', which sounds beyond my development skills.

is there still a relatively simple (designer-friendly) way to get a login section hooked up, or has it got more complex?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 23:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Aaron

I think the membercontrols are deprecated.

But fortunately you can easily use the ASP.NET login controls since Umbraco since v4.0 has been based on the ASP.NET membership provider.

All you need to do is define a member type, a member group and create members in the members section. Then you'll need to setup public access on the pages you want to password protect. If you only need to restrict access to one page for one specific visitor, you don't even need to setup a member group. (But most likely you will want to setup a member group etc.)

Then all you need to do is use the default ASP.NET login control, which you can drag'n'drop directly in visual studio onto a user control. Place the user control on your desired login page, and voila there you go :-)

If you don't intend to use visual studio that's allright you just write the asp:Login control directly in your template instead. to write the simplest possible control you can write <asp:Login /> - You can read more about the login control here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.login.aspx

Then you'll probably also need to look into something like loginstatus and loginview. You can read much more about all of this stuff on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178329.aspx

I hope this makes sense - otherwise you know where to ask :-)

/Jan

Dec 22, 2010 @ 23:37
    aaronb

Thanks for the links Jan, that's definitely pointed me in the right direction.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 23:41
    Jan Skovgaard

You're so very welcome.

I almost forgot to link to this nice guide done by Morten Bock - http://www.mortenbock.dk/blog/2009/04/01/setting-up-membership-in-umbraco.aspx

So now you should be ready to play around with it :-)

/Jan

Dec 23, 2010 @ 00:14
    aaronb

Awesome, I've now got a basic version working, thanks ever so much for the help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft