Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Evan 40 posts 59 karma points
    Nov 12, 2010 @ 05:18
    Evan

Umbraco Admin -> Settings -> Languages

Hi,

I'm going to create a multilingual site in Umbraco soon.

I know I can do this by either creating tabs and language specific tabs for documents (a 1:1 site) or by having whole trees for each language.

I'm going with the whole trees for each language option.

My question is, if I go to Settings -> Languages in the Admin section, what is this used for? By using the tree options, I'm assuming the root node is a regular page?

Any answers or links to documenation would be appreciated!

-Evan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 12, 2010 @ 08:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This is used to match a language to a host name / path. If you right click on the root of the different trees you can attach hostnames to it and you need to pick a language. This will set the locale correctly when hitting a specific language so that date formats and so on are set correctly.

You can either set the hostname like "en.yoursite.com" or "www.yoursite.com/en".

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 12, 2010 @ 08:28
    Dirk De Grave

Languages in the settings section can be used in combo with 'hostnames' you can assign to your (top) nodes in the content tree. Once you've set a culture on a (top) node, you can use eg umbraco.library:GetDictionaryItem('') to display a language sensitive variable.

Eg. let's assume you've set up two languages English (en-UK) and Dutch (nl-BE) and have two top nodes. One which you assign the en-UK culture (www.domain.co.uk) and the other set to 'nl-BE' (www.domain.be). If you insert a dictionary item onto your template (can be inserted using a dialog from the menu bar), it'll be translated based on the current culture of the website (So, if you're in the www.domain.co.uk, it'll display the English version, otherwise the Dutch version)

Dictionary items (its translations) are fetched from the 'Settings - Dictionary', so each item you add in there can be used in your templates and will be translated according to the current culture of the content node.

But it also applies to outputting dates eg.

Does that make more sense?

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Evan 40 posts 59 karma points
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 04:56
    Evan

Thank you both for the explanations! That's helped me a lot!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft