Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jonny cundall 15 posts 157 karma points
    Oct 31, 2018 @ 17:34
    jonny cundall

how to create new source project from existing site and db

Hi folks,

This is a bit odd so I'll have to explain why I need to do this. I maintain an umbraco site for a community event. I kept the source on my work laptop ( as it was my only windows machine). I left that job in a hurry and didn't get the chance to backup the source. So I have a working site, I can access, and have backups of all the published files and DB. What I don't have is the .sln, the .csproj and the source for a few controllers.

Now I think I can rewrite the controllers (most of the work that has gone into the site is in the db and the views).

What I need is to get a new umbraco site working in development, connected to the old DB.

however when I try:

• create new asp.net MVC site in visual studio
    • install umbraco using nuget
    • change the connection string to point at the old db

This does not work - the logins which should work (they work on the published site) are not recognised.

Should this work? Is it possible to get around this?

it's version 7.9.2

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 31, 2018 @ 17:58
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Jonny

ILSpy can help you to decompile dlls and get source code.

Umbraco admin reset can help you to get access to Umbraco backend - https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/umbraco-admin-reset/

Thanks,

Alex

Oct 31, 2018 @ 19:05
    jonny cundall

Thanks Alex,

that sounds very promising, I'll give it a go

Oct 31, 2018 @ 20:18
    jonny cundall

well the password reset didn't work - it reset the password but the new one didn't login either, I had to restore the db to be able to login again. It seems like the answer to a different question anyway - the login works fine, when the site is running on the published site, with the same database. it's just using the correct login running locally which fails.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 01, 2018 @ 11:29
    Alex Skrypnyk

It can be that site isn't able to connect to database, in this case it's not possible to login to backend.

Nov 02, 2018 @ 17:36
    jonny cundall

I got the answer here https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/85475-authorizeupgrade-cant-login#comment-270615 - when I pasted the membership nodes from the old config the issue was fixed.

• Henry_Malone 2 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 15, 2018 @ 17:55
    Henry_Malone

The task is pretty simple in essence, but it is quite difficult to understand someone else's code sometimes) I hope that at least the documentation is in order. It is good that I pass on similar tasks to the company https://do-it-solutions.com to further support the work of the project

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft