Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• david 36 posts 180 karma points
    Jul 18, 2018 @ 10:06
    david

what is your development setup for umbraco projects?

what is your development setup for umbraco projects?

and why do you recommend a specific setup?

eg:

IDE = VS

SCM = TFS

Repo = github

APM = miniprofiler or airbrake or something

Webserver setup = ....

and more...

newbies like me can learn from your experience

• ssougnez 93 posts 319 karma points c-trib
    Jul 18, 2018 @ 16:03
    ssougnez

Hi,

For the IDE, I think the option would be "Visual Studio". Umbraco is heavily built around these technologies so it's the best tool available for this. Now, of course, you can use tools like "Visual Studio Code" or even "Notepad" if you're really motivated but "Visual Studio" integrates everything you need. Nuget package manager, Task Runner, etc...

For the "source control manager", I don't think the question is specific to "Umbraco". Is Git better than TFS? I guess it's a never ending question not related to "Umbraco".

I just finished writing an article on how to setup your solution in "Visual Studio". I don't know if this is the kind of information you need but this might help you: https://anotherdevblog.com/2018/07/18/organize-an-umbraco-projects/

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Jul 21, 2018 @ 10:50
    Sotiris Filippidis

Mine is not a typical setup, but it suits my working style / needs. I usually work in my own office, with a Hyper-V server running 24/7, and when I need to work from elsewhere I use LogmeIn Hamachi to VPN to the office, connect to my development VM and work.

I'm using Visual Studio 2017 with a locally hosted Gitlab installation for source control.

My development machine is a VM and I've also set up two VMs functioning as the Web and DB server (for testing/staging and client previewing). All in the same Hyper-V box.

I publish to the Web server VM with a command-line deploy script. Both my development VM and my staging Web Server use the same database, as does any other developer involved in the project. If they're remote, I use LogmeIn Hamachi to allow them to access my DB.

For images and other media not in the project or source control, I'm using Resilio Sync to sync between the development machine(s) as well as the staging/testing server.

I always install uSync with a "manual" sync configured (so that it doesn't mess up my dev environment). But this means that all changes to content structure are dumped, so any remote developer using their own DB for some reason can still get any changes with minimal effort.

• david 36 posts 180 karma points
    Jul 21, 2018 @ 12:09
    david

any special instructions for deploying into aws or azure?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 21:42
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi David

Azure DevOps is a great option.

Thanks,

Alex

• Nicholas Welsh 3 posts 71 karma points
    Jun 04, 2021 @ 01:51
    Nicholas Welsh

IDE = For backend Jetbrains Rider, previously VS2019 For frontend VS Code

SCM = git Repo = bitbucket GitGUI = GitKraken, previously SourceTree but it was a bit slow

APM = Cloud provider has tools if needed

Webserver setup = Cloud with Octopus deploy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft