Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Poole 53 posts 165 karma points
    Apr 24, 2018 @ 15:09
    Mike Poole

Publishing content to a JSON file

We have a requirement that when our site is published, the client wishes to have certain nodes published to a JSON file so that their app that compliments the website can read the data.

The nodes in question are simple ones (document with several children)

To create the data in a JSON format, how could I create a publish event to do this?

Thanks

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Apr 24, 2018 @ 15:52
    Steve Morgan

Hi Mike,

This should be easy enough to do.

You need to have a custom publish event, check if the node is a doc type you're interested in and then call a helper utility to write out the JSON.

Subscribing to events is covered here: https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Getting-Started/Code/Subscribing-To-Events/ https://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/developer/extending/events/

I'd use the UmbracoHelper to get the content in a structure and then writing out as a json file should be a trivial job.

HTH

Steve

Apr 27, 2018 @ 11:27
    Mike Poole

Thanks Steve

I've got the listener working thanks to your post

With regards to the getting the content in a structure, I now have IContent of my node - how does the UmbracoHelper allow me to get it in a structure I want (only certain properties) to then serialize into JSON?

Mike

Apr 27, 2018 @ 12:32
    Steve Morgan

Are you writing out a number of nodes or just the one that's changed?

If you're just doing the current node then use the IContent - I would create a custom model to represent your json so you can create the object (or list / array of objects) and then simply write this out as JSON.

If you have a lot of nodes you have to query and then write back out then you'll want to use the UmbracoHelper so you're using the cache. If it's just a few nodes then you might just be able to use the ContentService - just beware this hits the DB.

Either way - be careful if you use the cache, it might not have been updated on the publish even if you hook into the wrong event!!

Apr 30, 2018 @ 13:06
    Mike Poole

Thanks Steve, that is really helpful

I am trying to write out multiple nodes (when a node of type "FAQ" is saved, I want to write out ALL the FAQ nodes to a JSON file

So to use the UmbracoHelper to do so, how would I amend the code you kindly supplied below?

Apr 27, 2018 @ 12:52
    Steve Morgan

To get the property values from IContent use something like:

namespace My.Namespace
    {
        public class RegisterUmbracoEvents : ApplicationEventHandler
        {

protected override void ApplicationStarted(UmbracoApplicationBase umbracoApplication, ApplicationContext applicationContext)
            {
                ContentService.Published += ContentServicePublished;
            }

private void ContentServicePublished(IPublishingStrategy sender, PublishEventArgs<IContent> args)
            {
                TestImportProperty myJsonObject = new TestImportProperty();

foreach (var node in args.PublishedEntities)
                {
                    if (node.ContentType.Alias == "nodeDocTypeAliasGoesHere")
                    {
                        if (node.HasProperty("someProperty"))
                        {
                           // get each property from the node to match your json object
                            myJsonObject.SomeProperty = node.GetValue<string>("someProperty");
                        }

string json = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(myJsonObject);

//write string to file
                        System.IO.File.WriteAllText(HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("~") + "\\App_Data\\json\\json.txt", json);
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

NOTE - the example above would overwrite the file for each published node- it's likely you'll want to build a list and write this out - here serialise the list of "json" objects (probably have to covert it to an array first).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft