Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Hill 2 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 20, 2018 @ 17:05
    David Hill

Blank backoffice login page and other anomalies

Hello Umbraco Colleagues, I've suddenly begun having a very troubling issue: Trying to access the Umbraco backoffice (http://xyz.test/umbraco) renders a completely blank page. If I'm logged in to the application (as a member, not as a backoffice user), the backoffice functions normally. This occurred the first time last week then it went away and now it has returned.

In addition, other very odd behavior is present: None of the other assets such as images, css files, scripts, etc. will display unless I'm logged in. Only text is displayed if I'm not logged in as a member. When I view source, there is markup there - it just doesn't display anything. When I log in as a member, everything is normal.

It started happening spontaneously and only happens in my local dev environment and on most -not all - of my dev sites - there's one that it doesn't happen with (yet). I downloaded Umbraco 7.9.2 and ran a clean install - the problem presented there as well. The fact that it's doing it on a clean U7.9.2 install with no content or anything else (no packages, no addons) is troubling. I can't access the back office in that instance at all since there are no members.

And it does NOT happen if I'm debugging in IIS Express through VS. It happens in multiple browsers and on multiple machines.

I've used Umbraco since version 3 and this is the first time anything like this has happened. This may be a show-stopper if I can't figure out how to resolve it reliably when it occurs. Thanks for any help. Cheers, David Hill

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Mar 21, 2018 @ 07:53
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Hi David Hill,

What does the error console say of your browser? Also we had this issue once and the reason for this was our time clock of the server wasn't set correctly.

Hope this helps.

/Michaël

• David Hill 2 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 21, 2018 @ 19:30
    David Hill

This has been resolved. It was not an Umbraco thing but an IIS thing.

A completely new MVC app without Umbraco exhibited the exact same behavior. It was due to Anonymous Authentication set to "Specific User" (IUSR). The solution: IIS > Authentication > Anonymous Authentication > (edit) Change it from "Specific User" (IUSR) to "Application pool identity".

During my 20+ years of using IIS, I have never once needed to configure that. My guess is that a recent Windows update may have changed it for me. Cheers, David

• Stefan Besteman 6 posts 26 karma points
    Nov 08, 2021 @ 10:13
    Stefan Besteman

In windows 11 I encountered also this problem

Thanks David for posting this solution

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft