Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Cave 24 posts 162 karma points
    Feb 07, 2018 @ 11:55
    Mike Cave

Adding a new page to an existing Umbraco site

HiI am new to umbraco and I have just inherited a system that uses it. I have looked at the tutorial videos but they are very long winded and by the time I have gone through them I still dont know in which order I should be creating Umbraco "items".

I want to create a page that my users can go and upload an image to, add some text and a link. None of the Document Property types seem to be named very well and I usually end u with the wrong content.

I f I create document type with auto template generation, Umbraco creates the template outside of the master template, which is nuts.

What is the order in which I should be creating Umbraco "items"? Is it :

Template, Document Type, Content?

Also is there a glossary which explains what the property types do? I want the user to be able to drag and drop an image and then put some descriptive text and then add a URL to more content.

I've been on this for a day now and I'm no wiser.

I have done the UmbracoTV videos. its too light weight for my needs. Also the videos dont have a transcript so I have to listen to stuff Ive listened to a few times before and it takes way too long.

Any help is gratefully received. Thanks

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 07, 2018 @ 12:34
    Dan Diplo

There's also a text-based tutorial in the documentation here that might help - https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Tutorials/Creating-Basic-Site/

Basically, you want to:

Create a new Document Type first - by default this will also create a corresponding template.

Added a tab to your Doc Type to contain the properties you will be adding.

Add properties - in your case you could probably just add a Rich Text editor that will allow people to add text, images etc. Or you could add separate properties for an image (use Media Picker set to single image), Content Picker etc. depending on how you want to structure your content.

Edit your template - if you have a master template you can select it. Output your static mark-up in the template and then write some razor that substitutes your static content with data pulled-in from your properties.

Ensure you edit any document types you wish to add your new Doc Type too and change the Permissions (so you can create an instance of your new doc type beneath it).

Create a page and view it - and fix any issues :)

Feb 07, 2018 @ 12:35
    Mike Cave

Thanks Dan, I will give that a go,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my Post!

regards,

Mike

Feb 08, 2018 @ 11:57
    Mike Cave

I eventually figured out how to add the new page only to find out that there is no way to repeat the input.. eg, I want a content editor to be able to add new content to a page every day, NOT A BLO but new content.

I will close this case and open another.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft