Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom 8 posts 78 karma points
    Jan 17, 2018 @ 17:46
    Tom

You are not allowed to access this system from this IP address

Good evening,

I work for a Managed Service Provider who has quite recently taken on a new customer.

They are using Umbraco as their helpdesk solution.

Unfortunately the previous support company has not given any handover what so ever with regards to the operation and troubleshooting.

One of their sites is receiving the aforementioned message when trying to log in.

I've browsed a few topics here, and can find no blacklist/whitelist in the Web.Config nor has this been blocked at the IIS level.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom

• George 30 posts 122 karma points
    Jan 17, 2018 @ 18:14
    George

If you have access to the Web.config, then I'm guessing you have access to the full site. I'm further guessing that the IP limitation is hard-coded although I suppose it could be in a firewall somewhere.

Can you do a search? Do you know an IP address from which access is not blocked? Could you do a search through file contents for that IP, or maybe even just the first set of numbers? You could also try searching for Request.UserHostAddress or any of the other ways a user's IP is accessed on the back end.

Jan 17, 2018 @ 18:23
    Tom

For back end Access, I only have Editor Access. (The customer doesn’t appear to have proper admin access).

I’ve queried the SQL dB that it sits on, and nothing in there points to it being blocked.

Accessible from every public IP address that I’ve attempted to log in from.

Also did a file search to ensure it wasn’t hard coded into any of the configs, no luck!

Weirdly this has been working fine until a couple of days ago; since my team has no knowledge of this system, it’s unlikely we’ve made any changes!

Jan 17, 2018 @ 18:57
    George

That sounds like a tough nut to crack.

Can you tell where the error is coming from? Is it branded in any way? Does the HTML response have any clues? Are they denied access outright, or can they get to the login screen, but no further?

Jan 17, 2018 @ 19:08
    Tom

They can access the landing page, the denial only shows after entering their credentials.

It allows them that fair.

The page is company branded other than that, but the error is just text which is embedded in the page above the login boxes.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 17, 2018 @ 19:12
    Nik

Hi Tom,

Do you happen to know what version of Umbraco they are running? If you cannot login to the backoffice you can find out by looking at the product version of the Umbraco.core.dll file.

Thanks,

Nik

Jan 18, 2018 @ 11:20
    Tom

Hi Nik: 7.2.6 assembly: 1.0.5632.22681

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 18, 2018 @ 11:36
    Nik

Okay, so a couple more questions:

1. In web.config what is useLegacyEncoding set to? Is it true or false?
    2. In web.config again is the UsersMembershipProvider set to a type of: Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco

If UsersMembershipProvider isn't set to that it means they've written their own implementation and they could have code in blocks there.

If userLegacyEncoding is true, you could reset the primary admin account's password so you can log into it via the database. It may be a case that the primary admin doesn't have the same IP block.

Jan 18, 2018 @ 11:48
    Tom

Hi Nik,

UseLegacyEncoding = true "UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="4" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed"

I did create a new users and add them to the same membership/organisation and was able to log in fine from our public IP here - so it sounds like there is an explicit block.

In websitehostname\App_Data\umbraco.config I've found references to

However this makes no sense since our public IP is not contained and works fine.

Jan 18, 2018 @ 11:55
    Tom

I've just had a thought..

They're using NLB for this site - checked that umbraco.config file and the IP addresses stated for this specific site aren't on the PRD2 webserver.

Added this, restarted the IIS.

Fingers crossed it might work now, just asking them to test.

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Jan 17, 2018 @ 20:14
    Lennart Stoop

It does sound like a customization. Plugins for login screens exist, but I don't know of any that support IP white/black listing.

Like George suggests you might want to do a full text search at the website root for code that is verifying the visitor's IP address.

With search terms like:

UserHostAddress, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, REMOTE_ADDR

Jan 17, 2018 @ 20:33
    George

A couple of other thoughts...

Perhaps this is a plugin or a custom implementation to prevent a brute force attack. Maybe someone at the customer's site forgot their password and repeatedly tried to log in? Normally that would just block the one user, but just wanted to mention that possibility. You could poke around in the user tables in the database to see if anything stands out there.

In a different vein, is it possible the old support company is doing something ornery here and has purposefully added block? Do they still have access to the system in any capacity?

Jan 18, 2018 @ 14:39
    Tom

After a stroke of genius, I managed to find references to their allowed IP addresses in websiteroot\APP_Data\Umbraco.config

<AllowedIPAddresses id="17120" parentID="1443" level="2" creatorID="3" sortOrder="3" createDate="2016-05-19T09:42:40" updateDate="2016-06-06T16:44:02" nodeName="<CustomerName>" urlName="<CustomerName>" path="-1,1443,17120" isDoc="" nodeType="1441" <creatorName="<CreatorName>" writerName="<CreatorName" writerID="3" template="0" nodeTypeAlias="AllowedIPAddresses">
    <first3Integers><![CDATA[xx.xx.xx]]></first3Integers>
    <rangeFrom><![CDATA[xx]]></rangeFrom>
    <rangeTo><![CDATA[xx]></rangeTo>
    </AllowedIPAddresses>

I realised that this site is network load balanced. Logged onto the secondary webserver and checked this file, three entries for the IP addresses that the customer uses were missing.

Made sure the config file matched the primary server - restarted IIS on both servers and voila! All resolved.

Thanks for your prompt responses guys, very much appreciated.

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Jan 18, 2018 @ 19:51
    Lennart Stoop

Good find. Just so you know, umbraco.config is a file generated from the database and would normally be refreshed on each server instance within a load balanced environment. So there might still be something wrong with the setup.

Jan 18, 2018 @ 19:53
    Tom

Come to think of it, I did see some logs which pointed to some kind of replication issue.

Thanks for the pointer.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft