Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel 22 posts 214 karma points
    Aug 29, 2017 @ 00:59
    Daniel

Should I implement Umbraco in this situation?

Hey guys,

Right now I'm developing a web application for a startup idea. I currently have a good part of the application developed.

However I came up with the idea of a blog and Umbraco was my first thought, I'm not sure what do to right now. Can I simply implement Umbraco as another module just for the blog functionality? And keep developing my web application normally with SQL Server and such? Or is there a better option?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 29, 2017 @ 09:26
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Daniel

There is no problem to use SQL Server database and Umbraco in one application, if you want to use Umbraco features - use it, it will save you a lot of time.

Thanks,

Alex

Aug 30, 2017 @ 01:41
    Daniel

Thanks a lot! I'm currently trying to install it via NuGet Console and I'm getting some compatibility issues with .NetCore 1.1.

Should I try a downgrade to a specific version of .NET Framework? (The latest stable supported Framework by Umbraco, that is!)

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 30, 2017 @ 08:00
    Nik

Hi Daniel,

Umbraco won't work against .Net Core, it currently has a requirement of .Net 4.5 so you would have to develop you application against that. This also means your application has to be host on Windows as a result (if you were planning on allowing it to hosted cross platform).

Thanks,

Nik

• Martijn Duizendstra 18 posts 113 karma points
    Aug 30, 2017 @ 09:31
    Martijn Duizendstra

Hey Daniel,

At a previous company I worked, we integrated Umbraco inside an existing app by reserving certain paths. We used it to create landing pages for certain products or special deals. The main site was running on custom code with a PIM system behind it. This is not a recommendable setup in my opinion.

At the current company I setp Umbraco as the core, and implemented custom controllers to display and use data outside of the Umbraco DB (just specify another connectionString to your own DB).

This is much much nicer than the first situation because Umbraco will have control over all of the URL's and you can override it with custom code wherever you need it.

Try setting up a new project if you want to try it out.

You can create a new doctype called "Home" for example and then create a Template called "Test" in Umbraco. Create a new Document (You can name the page anything you want) and assign the Template.

Then create a new Controller called "HomeController" with an Action called "Test" and here you can fiddle arround with some custom code and you will see it will get executed.

Good luck.

Aug 30, 2017 @ 18:42
    Daniel

Thanks a lot! I just managed to install Umbraco locally with Visual Studio and I'm running it under a SQL Server DB. Things are look good so far. But I will do as you recommend, I'll run and keep the application with Umbraco as the core, and implement the rest with custom controllers and views.

Only detail is I have to re-implement my API as it was in .NET Core, but I feel like it's much faster this way and much cleaner.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft