Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham Thomson 56 posts 136 karma points
    Jul 05, 2017 @ 09:13
    Graham Thomson

Media Library Structure - advice please.....

Hi

I was wondering if people might give me their views on the best way to structure the Media Library in Umbraco for a devolved editorship model please?

I thought that I should probably group a project's documents and images under a "programmes" folder that editors would be able to edit. I'd then set the programme page as the start node.

However, what happens if I wanted to show them a folder with a generic set of images that exists at the top of the media library that anyone can use? In that case they wouldn't be able to "see" it because the start node is set below it?

Am I miusunderstanding?

Thanks Graham

• David Hutson 48 posts 379 karma points
    Jul 05, 2017 @ 13:36
    David Hutson

Hi Graham,

In the past I worked at a place where they moved from a core team of editors to a devolved model of over 100 and found this to be a useful solution to manage media. It depends on your requirements.

https://github.com/east-sussex-county-council/Escc.Umbraco.MediaSync

It extends uMediaSync

uMediaSync implemented an automatic one-way synchronization between content and media nodes within the CMS Umbraco backend.

In addition to the features of uMediaSync, it adds:

• Create media folders retrospectively for pages which existed before Escc.Umbraco.MediaSync was installed.
    • Delete the related media folders from the media recycle bin when the content recycle bin is emptied.
    • When a page is deleted, and its media folder contains files that are also used by other pages, those files are moved to the media folder for one of the other pages.
    • An extra option to decide, when copying a media folder tree with a page, whether also to copy the files contained in its folders. The copied page still refers to the original files, so it may not be helpful to make copies.
    • When a page is copied, it is not automatically published. This replicates how Umbraco works by default.
    • When modifying Umbraco content from an Umbraco Web API, supports getting the userId from uMediaSync.config instead of using the identify of the current user.
    • An property editor assigned to an extra property on the Image and File media types to show where the media item is used.

You might also want to checkout Multi Start Nodes project. I believe HQ might be doing something similar in verison 7.7.0. This should solve your problem.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/multiple-start-nodes/

Good luck,

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft