Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Muneeb 11 posts 81 karma points
    1 week ago
    Muneeb

Hi everyone, I am new to Umbraco and I am facing an Issue. I have source code(developed by someone else) of an umbraco website(already deployed) in which I have made some fixes just in views and now want to deploy it again on server through ftp. But I am not able, I have deployed a website before so can someone please help me from start how to do it. Thanks in advance

• Craig Mayers 70 posts 211 karma points
    1 week ago
    Craig Mayers

Hi Muneeb,

What do you mean you are not able to FTP?

Do you mean... You don't know how to OR you can't, due to an error or something? Do you have RDP access by any chance?

Just trying to understand what the actual issue is you are having.

Regards

Craig

1 week ago
    Muneeb

Hi Craig thanks for reply. I am uploading website code using a software 'filezilla'. When it's done uploading, there are only files tree on my domain. I mean no page renders, just a tree showing like this this is my domain front

I don't even know which file to change before deploying. Basically I am very new to deploying. Sorry for my english

1 week ago
    Craig Mayers

Hi Muneeb,

What is your hosting package?

Have you specified a default document in your web.config? See: https://www.iis.net/configreference/system.webserver/defaultdocument

Have you also set up your database? And have you updated your web.config to point to your live database?

Craig

1 week ago
    Muneeb

Hi Craig, I know it's not a hosting package issue.

I have not specified a default document. I'll follow this link to set a default document.

No I have not set my database again for deployment. Can you please guide me more about it.

1 week ago
    Craig Mayers

You will need to deploy your database then and update your web.config file with the new Connection String.

Ensure all files have been copied up from Local to the Live server.

Have a google around, you will find loads of information about this.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Craig

1 day ago
    Muneeb

Hi Craig

I am trying to 'connect to Database' in visual studio where I enter my server name and db credentials(I created on my hosting account) but it keep saying login failed for username. So can you please tell me how to deploy my database or what i am doing wrong?

1 day ago
    Craig Mayers

Hi Muneeb,

So your issue is connecting to SQL Server, NOT deploying it!

From the error message, you have provided... Either your username OR password is incorrect.

One way to test this quickly, instead of changing web.config and deploying all the time etc. is to test the connecting from SQL Management Studio with the same credentials.

Make sure all spelling and casing are correct.

Regards

Craig

1 day ago
    Muneeb

Thanks Craig

It's a code of an already deployed website. So in local environment i am not able to use umbraco back office. I was trying to deploy Umbraco.sdf(in App_Data folder). I just wanted to put all scenario in front of you so you can tell if there is any other problem.

I'll test from SQL Management Studio and tell you if it worked or not

1 day ago
    Muneeb

Hi Craig

I have tried testing in SQL Management Studio and this is the errorenter image description here

1 day ago
    Craig Mayers

Hi Muneeb,

Am not 100% sure about your setup/environment...

But are you sure that is the correct SQL server host? And do you have the correct permission for the user you are trying to login as (i.e. SA etc.).

Regards

1 day ago
    Muneeb

Yes I have checked, User is assigned all roles. Moreover I tried to connect with another database on different server but same error appears

1 day ago
    Craig Mayers

Hmmm, not 100% sure what could be the cause.

I have never seen this error before, I assume it is an issue with your environment/setup.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

Regards

Craig

1 day ago
    Muneeb

No problem, thank you

1 week ago
    Muneeb

Hi Craig

Thank you so much for your help. I'll apply the changes and i'll let you know.

• John Bergman 121 posts 395 karma points
    1 week ago
    John Bergman

It also looks like you are missing a bunch of folders... (like Umbraco, Umbraco_client, etc).

if you are deploying from within visual studio, I think you need to add all of those folders to the project in order to have it work right. (there are other folders and files as well.

7 days ago
    Muneeb

Actually it was not fully uploaded when i take screenshot therefore some folders were missing.

• John Palmer 57 posts 141 karma points
    1 week ago
    John Palmer

Hi Muneeb,

Just make sure you edit your connection string. If you are not too sure, you can contact your support team

7 days ago
    Muneeb

Hi John

Thanks for reply. I have already make changes in it. waiting for website to fully deploy and will let you know if it did work or not

• Frans de Jong 245 posts 706 karma points
    7 days ago
    Frans de Jong

This is what a typical folder structure looks like in my case:

enter image description here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft