Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Geoff 19 posts 89 karma points
    May 05, 2017 @ 11:04
    Geoff

Can I run Umbraco from a read only database

Hi,

I host my Umbraco Production platform in Azure using Azure SQL server. I'd like to create a replica platform for DR purposes using a mirror the live database to ensure the content is consistent in the event of a fail over. In mirrored mode the DR database would be read-only until the mirroring is broken. I'm wondering if this configuration would be possible - I'm particularly based concerned that whilst in read-only mode any timer jobs that involve writing to the database would fail. Would this be an issue?

Thanks, Geoff

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 05, 2017 @ 11:14
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Geoff

All Umbraco form entries are storing in the database so it will be a problem of course.

Thanks,

Alex

May 05, 2017 @ 11:25
    Geoff

Hi Alex,

So is there no way that I couldn't keep the platform on standby using a mirror of the live database? I'm afraid I don't understand what Umbraco form entries are.

Thanks, Geoff

May 05, 2017 @ 11:31
    Alex Skrypnyk

Each Umbraco form submit is entry or set of data or filled form, all these are records in the database.

May 05, 2017 @ 11:45
    Geoff

In my model, no one would be using the site until it became live and the database became writable. Would the application in an un-browsed and unedited site still need to write to the database, and what would happen if it was unable to do so? In the worst case scenario I could keep the DR application turned off in Azure until we need to fail over service, but this would delay the fail over process a bit.

May 05, 2017 @ 11:49
    Alex Skrypnyk

If you want just browsing web-site and your site is written without using database via services or directly - then it should work.

May 05, 2017 @ 13:02
    Geoff

Oh cool, cheers.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft