Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ivan 165 posts 543 karma points
    Apr 07, 2017 @ 07:06
    Ivan

How to approach mobile app content on Umbraco?

We have a website that stores content for both desktop and mobile app. Mobile app retrieves content via Umbraco REST Api.

As content on each page could vary too much for desktop and app, we've come up with the only solution - keeping separate documents per each version. But this is very hard to maintain for content managers.

Any known solutions for the problem?

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Apr 07, 2017 @ 08:37
    Michael Latouche

Hi Ivan,

I am not sure it applies to your situation, but one "traditionnal" way to do is to apply alternative templates to a content page via an "alttemplate" parameter in its url.

So, basically, calling your page with the classic url

http://mydomain/myPage

will display it using the template selected when creating you document, and calling it with an alttemplate parameter like this;

http://mydomain/myPage?alttemplate=mobileTemplate

would display the page with the specific mobile Template.

That way you can keep one content node and display it differently on desktop or mobile.

I'm not sure this can be achieved through the REST API though, but maybe it can give you some inspiration ;-)

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Michaƫl.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2017 @ 10:30
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Ivan

I was involved in projects like you described and would say that there no 100% best solution. But I would prefer to manage all data in one place of course, that's why I see better architecture like that:

1. Manage all data from Umbraco backend.
    2. Store all data for web pages and mobile apps in Umbraco nodes, but I think it's good to have custom controls for displaying and managing mobile apps data.

Just a few thoughts:

1) All nodes have to be pages and store all data related to this page in Umbraco node.

2) Custom not related to pages data - keep it in custom tables and manage via custom control or even custom section in Umbraco backend.

Hope here is something interesting for you, Ivan.

Thanks,

Alex

Apr 09, 2017 @ 08:12
    Ivan

Hi Alex,

Could you clarify a bit: Did you split nodes between Desktop and App (having separate nodes for desktop and app), or you store all data (for both Desktop and App) on a single node (perhaps on different tabs)?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 09, 2017 @ 16:24
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Ivan

I would prefer to store all data (for both Desktop and App) on a single node (perhaps on different tabs)

And I would like to store data in Umbraco nodes only if it should be a page for a desktop.

It's better do not create Umbraco node for objects with mobile data only.

Thanks,

Alex

Apr 11, 2017 @ 13:16
    Ivan

Alex,

Ok, I see. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft