Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dharmesh 50 posts 210 karma points
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 05:59
    Dharmesh

Hello,

Is it possible to implement Navigation Menu and Submenu using Umbraco related links - by manually adding menus and submenus and display it on front end ? I tried it to implement by using umbraco related links but i can only implement Menus with that, What if I want to display submenus at front end. Please help me to resolve if possible with umbraco related links.

Thanks
    Dharmesh

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 07:06
    Manish

Hi Dharmesh

Better to use node hierarchy for navigation instead of related link. What is your scenario ?

Thanks Manish

Feb 28, 2017 @ 08:48
    Dharmesh

Hi Manish,

Thanks for your reply. Actually my requirement is to use umbraco related links to implement menu and sub menu, that's why i'm using related links instead of node hierarchy. actually requirement is like user can manually add and remove menu and submenu that user wanted to display, Not the ones that we have used normally in node hierarchy. I mean the menu and submenu will differ that we define in node hierarchy and the ones that we give in umbraco related links.

Thanks
    Dharmesh

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 09:45
    Manish

Hi

My question is that how you would choose sub menu under a new menu using related link?

Thanks

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 12:07
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

Why not re-think the solution.

You could have a "GLOBAL SETTINGS" repo in your Content section. With a Node called "Main Menu".

Create a Node Type called "Menu Item", and give it some options like "Content Picker" e.t.c. Update the Permssions, so "Menu Item" can be a child node of it self, and of "Main Menu"

Now, go to your content tree. And create the Menu structure under your Main Menu node.

Your users can then create the menu structure they require.

• Lazau Florin 74 posts 210 karma points
    Feb 28, 2017 @ 12:23
    Lazau Florin

Hi Dharmesh,

I have implemented this using Paul suggestion. Basically, you have to create a tree structure in back-office and on front end you check if a node has children then you create the submenu. Just to be aware that you can have more children levels.

Hope it helps.

Florin

Mar 08, 2017 @ 05:06
    Dharmesh

Hi,

Thank you so much guys for helping me.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 05:54
    Nicholas Westby

Archetype is really useful for building hierarchical menus: https://code101.net/links-in-umbraco-are-broken-but-alternatives-exist-1fe89aae2093

With Archetype, you can create a menu item, and each menu item can have children which are in turn menu items.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft