Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SteveMid 25 posts 127 karma points
    Oct 18, 2016 @ 10:02
    SteveMid

404 error when saving stylesheets

Disclaimer: I am completely new to Umbraco so this is very likely to be something I've done incorrectly somewhere along the way

Hi all.

I have installed Umbraco locally and am just trying to set-up a 'hello world' test site using Bootstrap.

When I click on 'Settings --> Stylesheets' and select a CSS file to edit, the editor loads the stylesheet fine. I can edit the code, but when I click 'save' I receive a 404 page:

The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /Steve/umbraco/umbraco/Steve/umbraco/settings/stylesheet/editStylesheet.aspx

I've checked the path for editStylesheet.aspx and it is looking in the wrong location:

/Steve/umbraco/umbraco/Steve/umbraco/settings/stylesheet/editStylesheet.aspx  <-- looking here
                         /Steve/umbraco/settings/stylesheet/editStylesheet.aspx <--- file is actually here

The edits I make to the .css files are saved correctly, but clearly something is wrong in the Umbraco configuration somewhere. I have not (knowingly) varied from the bog-standard installation process.

I thought a similar thing might happen if I edit a file in the scripts section, but they load (and edit) correctly.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 18, 2016 @ 13:22
    Paul Seal

Hi Steve I found this out recently too. It looks like you are running your Umbraco site as an application under a site. That's what I was doing too. I think Umbraco assumes it is running from the root of the site, which I think is the case for most sites. As you say, it does save the file, but it gets confused when trying to redirect you back. I wouldn't worry about it. I just hit the back button and then refresh to see the changes.

Cheers

Paul

Oct 18, 2016 @ 14:17
    SteveMid

Thanks Paul. I think that you are correct. I ended-up deleting everything and starting again (but this time I am running the site from the root, and so far it seems to be working ok).

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2016 @ 14:49
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Steve,

When I press save stylesheets button in my local Umbraco - it makes AJAX POST request to /umbraco/RestServices/SaveFile/SaveStylesheet

Do you have some redirect?

Maybe some wrong settings, also check please permissions on stylesheets folders.

Thanks,

Alex

Oct 18, 2016 @ 15:17
    SteveMid

Hi Alex,

As far as I can tell, there are no redirects (and the permissions are all ok) - I just followed a tutorial and installed a 'vanilla' Umbraco installation to have a play around.

I think Paul above has identified the problem (I inadvertently installed into an application within a site rather than at the site-root.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2016 @ 16:00
    Alex Skrypnyk

Great that we found solution.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft