Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jorge 37 posts 119 karma points
    Sep 22, 2016 @ 08:14
    Jorge

Converting Umbraco 4 to 7 with challenge

Hi there,

I have a project that I have to convert an Umbraco 4 to 7. I know this is simple because I only need to follow the instruction on how to convert 4 to 7.

But here is the challenge:

My client only gave me the url of the umbraco site and the backoffice login. "No FTP, no sourcecode, no DB backup" just the umbraco site.

Now I wonder how can I do it easily without manually copying the templates, document types, data types, and the contents because it will take time as there are too many contents in there. Thanks much

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Sep 22, 2016 @ 08:27
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Without access to the umbraco.config file or the sql db.. I believe that rules out most CMS Import packages?

Best I can think of is to create some custom import routines in a new page template on the v4 site to get the necessary content from the nodes - writing them out to a table. and then create the nodes in v7 scraping these pages.

To do this you'd have to analyse manually the site structure, create the necessary doc types (unless there is a doc type export in that version?) etc. Create the site structure (storing to a sql table the old Node ID and then the new one. You'd need to do the same for importing the media again storing a mapping table.

Then you can import the content into your skeleton site structure probably doc type by doc type.

All locallink, content picker, media picker references will need the old ID referencing, and mapped and updated in RTE fields, content pickers etc.

Hacking, incredibly time consuming and fraught with content import errors... I think it's doable but it will require a lot of hand cranking. I've done something similar recently.. it took time but I did manage it.

Can you install packages - I wonder if there are any content dump packages!?

Hopefully someone else can suggest a better way..

Steve

• Jorge 37 posts 119 karma points
    Sep 22, 2016 @ 08:35
    Jorge

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your quick advise,

Yes I also thought of that, but as you said, it will be a long work and time consuming, but if I have no choice why not do this technique instead of manually copy pasting all contents which is a boring work.

I'm also afraid to install other packages because it may break the site, and will take time to fix it as I don't have access to server.

I think your suggestion is the only choice, so if nobody advise me until tomorrow I think I have no choice but to do that.

• Siavash Mortazavi 24 posts 145 karma points
    Mar 20, 2017 @ 15:20
    Siavash Mortazavi

Hi Jorge,

You've written "...because I only need to follow the instruction on how to convert 4 to 7....".

Could you please point me to this documentation you're talking about?

Thank you very much, Sia

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft