Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shahid Abdullah 6 posts 76 karma points
    Aug 09, 2016 @ 09:21
    Shahid Abdullah

Umbraco multilanguage with URL change

I am working with Umbraco v7.x. I have few static pages and they need to be added in two languages(en/da).

I know there are two ways to translate

1- Copy folder and assign different culture and hostname and add fields data according to language.

2 - Use dictionary items.

But my problem is customer wants to have custom fields on all pages so he can change static page data without having the need to ask developer. So if I use first method to change language that would also change URL which is not required for this solution.

Second I use dictionary than how can customer can change field data because he had to go to dictionary items and make any change there. This is not a problem but text needs to be formatted and this is not possible if I use dictionary items.

Any work around to this problem.

Thanks

• Cimplex 113 posts 576 karma points
    Aug 09, 2016 @ 10:17
    Cimplex

Hi Shahid,

Every time on of my customers need content that should be shared on multi-language websites i usually have this node structure:

-Root
       -EN
            -Home
        -SE
            -Hem

This way i can place the shared content between the languages on the root node, and on the language nodes i can place other shared content that occurs all over the site but is language specific, like menus or social media links.

To get the root node properties you could use the ContentService class:

var root = Services.ContentService.GetRootContent().First();
            root.GetValue<string>("someProperty");

or you could do it the ugly way and just create a node and get the shared content by hard coding the node id.

// Herman

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Aug 09, 2016 @ 10:18
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Shahid,

Have you tried to have a look at the package called Vorto, developed by Matt Brailsford perhaps this could be a solution for you.

With this package you only have one website, but each fields on the page, can be translated into the languages that you have added to your website.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/vorto/

Hope this helps, and can be a solution for you.

/Dennis

• Shahid Abdullah 6 posts 76 karma points
    Aug 09, 2016 @ 12:31
    Shahid Abdullah

Thanks for reply. Really appreciate it. I have looked at vortex and it did fix that problem but now I am stuck at changing language system level so all pages open in selected language.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft