Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Murray Roke 503 posts 966 karma points c-trib
    Jul 28, 2016 @ 05:51
    Murray Roke

What should I commit in the umbraco folder?

Hi,
    I have a mishmash of committed and uncommitted files in the umbraco folder, I'm not sure what went wrong.

I have some committed, and some uncomitted files in umbraco/assets/* umbraco/lib/* umbraco/Views/**

I'm guessing last time I upgraded I didn't commit these.....

I have also noticed that when I compile all the uncommitted files get pulled in (from nuget I assume)

I was going to just commit all the files in the umbraco folder, but now I'm wondering if I should exclude certain folders, and let nuget pull them in. I'm guessing this would reduce the repo size, and make upgrading easier?

What should I do?

Cheers.
    Murray

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Jul 28, 2016 @ 07:18
    James Jackson-South

Hi Murray,

You shouldn't need to commit anything from the Umbraco folder. As you've noticed all the relevant files get pulled from Nuget and copied on build. This negates the need for them.

There's also a few other folders that you should ignore also.

Here's a comprehensive list to ignore when using git (You should be able to translate the syntax if using another system).

https://github.com/github/gitignore/blob/master/Umbraco.gitignore

Cheers

James

Jul 31, 2016 @ 22:01
    Murray Roke

Thanks... but, the comprehensive list does not seem to ignore /Umbraco/ nor /umbraco_client/ I assume I should add those to my ignore list?

I do not know if SVN is capable of un-ignoring /Umbraco/Developer/Packages/ within an ignored folder?

(NB: I currently don't have anything there other than comes in the nuget package)

Aug 01, 2016 @ 00:51
    James Jackson-South

Hi Murray,

You're correct; they are missing. Adding the following to the list is definitely wise.

# Ignore umbraco backoffice files. These get copied on build.
    **/[Uu]mbraco/
    **/[Uu]mbraco_client/

I also ignore the media folder since that is a common cause of bloat.

**/media/

I don't know what SVN's capabilities are I'm afraid. It's been about 6 years since I last used it.

Cheers

James

Aug 01, 2016 @ 22:21
    Murray Roke

ok, cool.
    One other question...
    Why not ignore the entire App_Data folder?
    We've been doing this for a while and not hit any snags.

Cheers.
    Murray.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Aug 01, 2016 @ 22:47
    Nicholas Westby

You could ignore the App_Data\TEMP folder, but if you ignore the entire App_Data folder, you risk losing important data. For example, the packages you have installed are kept in App_Data\packages\created.

Also, some packages store data in that folder (e.g., Formulate stores form definitions and some other info in the App_Data\Formulate folder). Actually, in the case of Formulate, I consider that data to be environment-specific, so I do actually ignore that folder (depends on how you manage data, however).

Aug 02, 2016 @ 00:24
    Murray Roke

we treat that kind of data as operating data, the same way we treat media, and don't store it in source control, so that works for us. It's anoying when plugins like umbracoForms stores operating data elsewhere like the App_Plugins folder Grrrr ;-)

Aug 01, 2016 @ 04:40
    Nicholas Westby

FYI, packages sometimes install things in the "Umbraco" folder, so you'll want to watch out for that. Otherwise, I think the entire "Umbraco" folder can be excluded from source control and should be restored by NuGet package restore on build in Visual Studio 2015.

Aug 01, 2016 @ 06:31
    James Jackson-South

Yeah Nicholas, I've noticed that as well - That's a hangover from very old versions I believe.

If I saw a package doing it I would contact the owner and get them to update their approach. The umbraco folder should be an absolute no-go.

Aug 01, 2016 @ 22:50
    Nicholas Westby

It may actually still necessary for some things (e.g., some tinyMCE customizations, I believe).

Also, it wasn't possible until very recently to add translations in the App_Plugins folder (they were kept somewhere under the umbraco folder). Because the umbraco folder often gets ignored by source control, this sometimes led to translations for things like Contour getting lost.

Aug 02, 2016 @ 07:26
    James Jackson-South

Did not know that about the translations!

Aug 02, 2016 @ 00:19
    Murray Roke

For anyone stumbling across this post I should clarify that we're talking about Umbraco version 7.4.3

:-)

When ignoring my umbraco folder I did see some contour elements in an english XML file that got lost, ... but I checked the back-office, and I didn't see anything missing. So It seems it should be fine to lose? (also my to-do list is to upgrade umbracoForms to 4.3.2)

Aug 02, 2016 @ 02:30
    Murray Roke

I also added an issue in the documentation website linking here: https://github.com/umbraco/UmbracoDocs/issues/366

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft