Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Jul 12, 2016 @ 20:51
    David Zweben

Separate browse access between Content section and Content Picker?

Hi,

I'm trying to set something up where a user should only be able to browse certain pages in the Content section, but I want them to be able to select pages in a Content Picker beyond the ones that they have access to view directly.

I know there are limitations in this regard due to security considerations, but is there any way to do this, preferably without heavy customization?

Ideally there would be something like a special Content Picker property editor that allows browsing of nodes from a root defined in the editor's settings, which ignores the user's permissions, but I don't know of anything like this.

Alternately, is there a way to set a start node in the content tree for a user which doesn't affect their actual permissions?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Jul 12, 2016 @ 21:14
    David Zweben

I answered my own question. The solution is wonderfully simple. Here's a way to achieve this:

1. Disable the user's "Browse Node" permissions on the top-level node of the section you want to hide for them in the content section. If you want them to be able to pick this top level node, wrap this in a non-functional container node and disable browse on that instead.

2. Leave the user's "Browse Node" permissions enabled on the children of this node.

3. Set the Tree Picker property to use the either the non-browseable node, or one of its descendants as the root node.

Since the user doesn't have access to view the root node, none of its descendants will show up in the Content section either, but the user will still have permission to browse those descendant nodes, and will be able to do so through a Content Picker property.

This is exactly what I needed to do, so maybe it will come in handy for someone else.

• Matt Linsenbardt 11 posts 53 karma points
    Nov 19, 2016 @ 03:18
    Matt Linsenbardt

This solved my issue. Thanks for sharing David.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft