Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nelson 94 posts 246 karma points
    Jun 16, 2016 @ 09:39
    Nelson

Accessing website on server

I'm developing my first Umbraco website, and I am now trying to upload it to the server. But I'm having a hard time accessing the files through the browser. In the control panel of my host provider I can see the IP address, but when I try to access it it doesn't work. I have a domain registered but its not pointing yet to this server. Also, in my server, I have 3 folders: db, log and wwwroot. So I was trying to access those using the IP, for example: 78.221.145.209/wwwroot. How can I access the files?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just have no experience on this.

Thank you very much!

• Comment author was deleted

Jun 16, 2016 @ 09:43

Hi Nelson,

wwwroot is what will be available, so you can drop your files in that folder

For example if you drop a file hello.html with the content

<html>
      <head><title>Hello World</title><head>
      <body><h1>Hello World</h1></head>
    </html>

In there you should be able to see that if you browse to 78.221.145.209/hello.html

You can ftp the umbraco files to that dir, you'll also need to set some permissions (that is typically done through the control panel)

https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions/

Jun 20, 2016 @ 05:50
    Nelson

Hello Tim,

thank you for your answer! I already tried what you mentioned, I added a simple html page to the wwwroot folder, but I got the error:

500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Do you have any idea about whats happening?

Thank you very much!

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Jun 20, 2016 @ 06:34
    Jon R. Humphrey

Nelson,

If you've uploaded the Umbraco files to the server you will have added the web.config file.

This file is the main settings and configuration file for an ASP.NET web application. It is an XML document that resides in the root directory of the site or application and contains data about how the web application will act.

Web.config on Wikipedia

Step 1: In there you will find the setting:

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" batch="false" targetFramework="4.5">

change the debug attribute to "true".

Step 2: in the same file you'll find the setting:

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />

change the mode attribute to "Off"

Once you've done these steps, refresh or browse to your site and see what the message shown tells you.

It may look something like this, which is the YSOD, or "Yellow Screen of Death", but don't be scared:

enter image description here

If you still can't figure things out then post your errors here and let us know!

Hope this helps!

Jon

Jun 20, 2016 @ 06:43
    Nelson

I did exactly as you mentioned, but the problem persists. Im starting to think that it might be a problem related to the server, but I dont know what kind of problem it can be.

Thank you very much for your help!

Jun 20, 2016 @ 06:47
    Jon R. Humphrey

Nelson,

Are you being shown any error messages after changing the settings above?

If so, copy and paste them into here and tell us what triggers them?

J

Jun 20, 2016 @ 06:50
    Nelson

Yes, I did changed the settings, but the page is still the same. Also I've uploaded to other folder a very simple html file and tried to access it directly but still the same. Is it possible to access the website only through the IP Address? Because my domain is not configured properly at the moment, and I checked in the server in the domains tab, the "www" tag points to an IP address so I should be able to access the website through that ip address right? I just noticed that the IP address is shared. So this means I really need to have the domain configured correctly for it to work?

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2016 @ 07:01
    Jon R. Humphrey

Nelson,

As Tim said above, the folder to put any and all web files into is the "wwwroot", this is a security measure and you won't be able to access any files in another folder without creating additional server settings which is beyond this post.

To that end, you can move all the Umbraco files and folders into another directory inside the wwwroot folder and access them there by adding the new folder name to the path, but you would also need to make changes to the Umbraco settings file.

If it's not too much trouble either paste the actual IP address you're using and we can take a look from our side but if you would like to keep things private you can send directly to me ay my email: jon (at) randomprecision (dot) co (dot) uk

Cheers, Jon

Jun 20, 2016 @ 08:29
    Nelson

Hi Jon,

just sent the e-mailto you! Thank you very much! Really appreciate it!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft