Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel McAteer 16 posts 136 karma points
    Jun 10, 2016 @ 11:09
    Daniel McAteer

Umbraco Randomly Reverting Content & Templates

I've constructed a new Umbraco 7 site, and most of the time everything works and runs perfectly. However, occasionally Umbraco seems to revert to previous versions of it's Content, showing me pages as they were back when I ran them on "localhost" (they are now on a hosted domain). All I need to do to fix the issue is "Republish entire site" within Umbraco and my new content comes back. The worrying thing is that I haven't been able to identify what triggers the content to revert. As well as this, I noticed that today one of the changes I had made to a template file had also reverted, even though I'd saved the file, reloaded the site to confirm the change was working, after which my Umbraco login session expired, but I wouldn't think that would be enough to revert the template back to it's previous state. Other things have reverted as well, such as Content ordering, and even page URLs.

Anyway, if anyone has had any experiences like this or could offer some handy hints towards locating or even ways to try and replicate these issues, I would be greatly appreciative. Aside from these issues, Umbraco seems fantastic thus far so I'm eager to get these ironed out before the website actually hits the live environment.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 10, 2016 @ 11:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daniel and welcome to the Umbraco developer forum aka "Our" in daily speech :)

Since you write that all you have to do is to "Republish entire" site to have the new updates appear I'm wondering whether you're using the same database locally and on the server? If so that's why this happens since the content is updated in the database but the cache is not since the environments don't sync automatically so to speak.

Just out of curiosity what exact version of 7 are you using? Is it 7.4.x? :)

/Jan

Jun 10, 2016 @ 12:42
    Daniel McAteer

Hi Jan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah, the database is indeed the same for both local and hosted versions, but I haven't really accessed the site locally since deploying it to the hosted server, and I'm the only one with a local copy of the site.

Also, I'm using 7.4.3 for the site.

Is there a way to manually check the cached content (directory/database/both)? I'm guessing that since it reverts to a certain version, that "state" must be cached or saved somewhere, but I'm not sure if previous versions are stored via the cache or the database.

Jun 10, 2016 @ 16:34
    Daniel McAteer

Managed to sort this out :) found the location where it was loading the cached content from and realised that the directory didn't have the correct permissions set so Umbraco couldn't write to it. It was reverting to the local content occasionally because that's the last XML cache version of the site Umbraco was able to save due to the server folder permissions.

Anyway, sorry to waste your time!

Many thanks, Daniel

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 10, 2016 @ 18:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daniel

Absolutely no need to be sorry - This happens to even some of the most seasoned developers from time to time. Happy to see you managed to figure it out on your own - Good job :)

Happy coding!

/Jan

• Alan Ellicott 45 posts 104 karma points
    Dec 26, 2016 @ 10:43
    Alan Ellicott

Daniel (or anyone!),

I have the same problem and if I copy the whole site elsewhere including database, it continues to revert randomly until I republish entire site - then it is OK for a day. If the answer above is correct, where is the directory that I may have issues with permissions please?

• Alan Ellicott 45 posts 104 karma points
    Dec 26, 2016 @ 20:33
    Alan Ellicott

Solved for me - It is of course the Appdata folder in which the umbraco.config file resides. This has to be updated when the site is republished but if there is no write permission then the site reverts after a couple of hours.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft