Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jedd France 29 posts 140 karma points
    May 04, 2016 @ 10:25
    Jedd France

Moving Umbraco 7 Local Website to Another Computer?

Hello all,

First of all let me apologise if this is a commonly asked question in the Umbraco community, I've searched for an answer/solution for quite a while and still haven't found anything.

Basically I do the majority of my work at home on my desktop computer, but sometimes I am travelling and am working from my laptop. I'd like to be able to still work on my websites while I'm away, so is it possible to copy an Umbraco website/installation from one computer to another?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Jedd

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 04, 2016 @ 14:24
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Jedd.

Are you runnig your Umbraco site with a CE database? In that case you can do exacly that, just copy the enitre solution from one computer to another and you should be fine. If you are using a MsSql server, then you also need to script/retore the database in-between moving your site. Some browsers, specially Chrome, loves caching, so if you do experience problems inbetween moving, remember to clear you cache.

Another great way of developing on several enviroment and also having version control is using GitHub. https://github.com/

Hope i could be of any help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft