Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tarunjit 103 posts 146 karma points
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 09:58
    Tarunjit

Description about User Types In Umbraco

Hi All,

We had a look at user types available in Umbraco and find following user types :-

1. Administrator
    2. Writer
    3. Editor
    4. Translator

I am not sure what's the difference between Writer and Editor? Also what should be the role of Translator?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 14:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tarunjit

I'm not sure that there is an official explanation of the default user types actually. However I'll try to describe them for you - But keep in mind that you can easily either modify these existing types are add your own types if you prefer to do that.

You can see their default permissions in the "User types" folder as well if you have not done so already.

1: Administrator - The administrator has every possible permission and can do anything when editing nodes in the content section.

2: Writer - By default the writer has the "Browse node", "Create", "Send to publish" and "Update" permissions. So the writer has very limited options and is not allowed to do much other than browse nodes, create nodes and them request that items are published. This means that the writer can't publish anything directly without someone else approving their article first. By and editor for instance.

3: Editor - By default the editor has permissions to "Audit trail", "Browse node", "Copy", "Delete", "Move", "Create", "Public access", "Publish", "Rollback", "Send to translation", "Sort" and "Update". Unlike the Writer the editor is allowed to publish a content item/node without approval from someone else. The editor role can do everything that is needed to successfully create a piece of content and publish it on the website without any restrictions.

4: Translator - By default the translator has permission to "Browse" and "Update" nodes. The translator is thereby only allowed to browse and update nodes. Others will then have to review the translations before publishing the nodes. This could perhaps be useful in situations where you need to to a 1-1 translation of a site, which is originally created in say "danish", which works from a .dk domain and all of the sudden there is a need for an english site on a .com domain. Then it's easy to copy the entire danish site and then provide access to a translator who can then translate the site page for page for instance.

So these are the default user types but as I mentioned you're free to create your own types.

I hope this clears things up a bit? :)

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 20, 2016 @ 15:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Don't know why but yesterday it hit me that I forgot to mention that the default user types are also being used for granting dashboard access in the /config/Dashboard.config file - But currently it's only the translator and admin user that has special permissions setup on the "startupDashboardSection" out of the box - Just thought that it should be mentioned to fully cover the topic and for some reason my subconsciousness aparently reminded me about this :D

This also means that you can of course control dashboard access using your own user types in the dashboard.config.

/Jan

• Naveed Ali 161 posts 426 karma points
    Apr 28, 2016 @ 12:05
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft