Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nelson 94 posts 246 karma points
    Mar 24, 2016 @ 08:32
    Nelson

Publishing my website and database

Hello everyone,

I've been working on my first Umbraco website and I'm almost finished with the design. I haven't been able to add most contents to my website because I'm using SQLCE and it seems that a lot of people have trouble to properly use it to store the contents in the database, as most of the times the contents disappear after I restart my computer. Now I would like to upload my website to the server and add all my contents online. Do I have to change my database now? Or will the SQLCE work properly once its on the server? If I do have to change the database, which one do you recommend? Is there any tutorial I can follow?

Thank you very much! :)

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 24, 2016 @ 08:40
    Dennis Adolfi

Hello, great to hear that you´re almost finished with your first Umbraco site!

I have never heard of SqlCE content disappearing after restart? We (the company i work for, im not schizophrenic :) have developed between 25-30 Umbraco sites using CE and it workes fine, both locally and on production server.

Anyway, if you´d like to convert your CE databse to a SQL server, here is a great tutorial: http://www.geektantra.com/2012/10/umbraco-deployment-exporting-ms-sql-ce-database-to-ms-sql-server-express/

Mar 24, 2016 @ 08:49
    Nelson

Hi Dennis,

I've started having this problem when I started adding more contents to my website. I used to add contents one day, everything was fine, then I shut down my computer and the next day when I open everything most of the contents I added the day before were gone. I did some research and learned that many people were having the same problem, mostly using SQLCE and Webmatrix. So I focused on working mainly in the design and then add the contents later. And still some of the data such as in the documents type disappears, just not as severe as the real contents.

I'm using webmatrix and I've seen that there's a tool to migrate the database. Is it ok to use this tool or should I do it manually following the steps of the link you just sent?

Thank you very much for your help, really appreciate it!

Mar 24, 2016 @ 08:58
    Dennis Adolfi

Ah, i see now on this Issue about CE and WebMatrix, my bad: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4621

We use Visual Studio that´s probobly why its not been a problem for us.

So since im not using WebMatrix i dont know about the migrate tool, but the tool in the link i posted earlier is really easy. We´ve used it a few times when a client wants a package that doesnt support CE and its really quick and painless.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 24, 2016 @ 12:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just FYI, this was most likely fixed as of 7.3.8, see: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-7996

@Nelson what Umbraco version are you using? The migrate tool in WebMatrix should work fine.

Mar 28, 2016 @ 05:38
    Nelson

I'm using version 7.3.1, I will update my Umbraco right away and will let you know if this problem persists or not. Thank you very much!

Mar 29, 2016 @ 06:04
    Dennis Adolfi

Awsome, yes whould be great if you notify if the problem was fixed so that people with the same issue in the future sees this.

Good luck!! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft