Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Julius Goddard 38 posts 149 karma points
    Mar 14, 2024 @ 11:24
    Julius Goddard

Site Redirects to Live Site When Trying To Run A Local Clone

I have cloned a copy of a live Umbraco site with the intention of running it locally.

The site is using Umbraco 8.6.3 and for this I am using SQL Management Studio with Visual Studio 2017 to run it.

The website is connected to a database restored from a .bak file and is connected up no problem.

When running the website in Visual Studio, it builds and starts successfully without any errors, however, when opening the https://localhost:44391 link, I get redirected immediately to the live website from where it is cloned from.

I am trying to find out where this redirect is coming from and was wondering if anyone could help.

Is it

A) A website in the database files restored from the .bak file B) A setting in the back office

or

C) Neither of these things.

Any guesses would be welcome.

Thanks

• Danine Noble 75 posts 330 karma points
    Mar 14, 2024 @ 14:18
    Danine Noble

Is prolly a silly question but have you checked for redirect rules? ^^;

Could be there's one on the root. Umbraco's built in redirect manager would automatically set one up if it was enabled when an item is moved. Or other packages like SEO Checker's redirect manager would do the same if the project doesn't use the default.

Or there could be hardcoded redirects in a config in the wwwroot to check.

You could also check the hostnames on the root item in the backoffice, though that in itself doesn't usually do any redirecting.

Mar 14, 2024 @ 14:40
    Julius Goddard

Thanks for the answer.

Where would I check for these redirect rules exactly? In the back office or in Web.Config? I couldn't spot any redirects in either of those places.

• Danine Noble 75 posts 330 karma points
    Mar 14, 2024 @ 18:18
    Danine Noble

If the default URL Redirect Management is enabled, it would be visible as a Dashboard in the Content Section of the Backoffice.

Otherwise, you can check for static coded rules in any files. Some examples of common ones and their locations for V8 can be found in the IIS Rewrite Rules documentation. It could be in web.config or could be in their own config files.

• Bryna 73 posts 259 karma points
    Mar 20, 2024 @ 14:07
    Bryna

You might check your culture and hostnames when you right-click on your top level node. The entries may still be your production address. If you have scores of sites, it might be better to check the table responsible(if I recall correctly, umbracoDomain). You should be able to update the production urls to a local equivalent.

28 days ago
    Julius Goddard

Took me a while to find where this was - it is under the dropdown menu "Actions" at the top right hand side of the page - under your profile picture.

Thanks for the answer

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft