Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Danine Noble 75 posts 330 karma points
    Mar 06, 2024 @ 22:46
    Danine Noble

Unable to preview Pages with 'Restrict Public Access'

Hullo Umbraco fam ^^

I've done some looking around but only seem to be able to find other unresolved forum topics from all the way back to 2010. It seems it's not possible for Backoffice Users to be able to preview the content they're editing on a page that is publicly restricted.

How are these pages supposed to go through Umbraco Workflow if no one can see them? Surely there's some way to configure things so editors & content approvers can preview the content without needing separate Member accounts.

Am I missing something or is that the expectation?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Mar 07, 2024 @ 17:44
    Marc Goodson

Hi Danine

Yes, it's been a long time thing :-(

if you think the page behind Public Access, might have code that says Hello 'First Name', then you can see why that might be problematic if there is no current logged in Member when previewing via the backoffice...

... I did write something a longtime ago, on a site, that if someone was logged into the backoffice, I faked the cookie that meant they were logged in as a test member account, so it was more seamless experience for preview...

I also thought there was a package called Member Impersonate that allowed Administrators to impersonate Members on the front end for testing, but I think I was misremembering as the package I found was for impersonating Users!

Anyway, I also came across this forum post:

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/110425-umbraco-10-member-impersonation

that seems to advise a way to impersonate a member based on the backoffice login which might give you a steer to improve things for your editors!

regards

Marc

• Danine Noble 75 posts 330 karma points
    Mar 07, 2024 @ 18:09
    Danine Noble

Aw, well. I'll take a look at that discussion thank you <3 Hadn't found that one :D

I don't think the client will go for it due to security reasons, (personal data is pulled on some pages) and at the point of creating a dummy test Member for Backoffice editors/approvers to use they could just login with that. But could be a step toward some minor convenience for an inconvenient flow ;D

Take care Marc, thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft