Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kelly 9 posts 89 karma points
    Feb 28, 2024 @ 20:36
    Kelly

Site Search appears to only show results for terms in Page Titles

I am new to Umbraco, frontend designer with some coding background. I currently ONLY have access to the back office and the file structure on the test server ( I do not have have a project/solution setup locally in visual studio).

I confirmed in the backoffice, the "ExternalIndex" DOES find all our search results. However, when I do the same search live, the search is ONLY RETURNING results if the search term is in the page title. (Also I am noticing it is case sensitive).

1. Is this OOB behavior? Or has someone changed the search somehow and it needs to be fixed?

2. Either way, what are the required steps to change this?

We are running Umbraco 10.1.10 I believe it is, and the theme is Igloo if that helps.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Mar 01, 2024 @ 09:04
    Marc Goodson

Hi Kelly

Out of the box, Umbraco ships with some Indexes already configured, eg the InternalIndex is used in the backoffice search and the ExternalIndex is provided for use or a starting point for implementing a search for the site you are building. So the ExternalIndex contains all your content but it is the way a 'search request' is constructed in code that can dictate which fields are searched and how. It's very flexible in code and very complicated to get to grips with, but really cool advanced searches can be done.

The Igloo theme, as it's used for lots of sites with different purposes has a very straightforward search implementation.

Looking at their documentation, it does look like there are some Advanced Search Settings

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <IglooSettings>
        <Search>
            <DocumentTypes>page,site,post,feed</DocumentTypes>
            <Fields>nodeName,metaTitle,metaDescription,heading,text,widgets</Fields>
        </Search>
    </IglooSettings>

https://igloo-theme-1.gitbook.io/igloo-theme/page-types/search#advanced-search-settings-igloo-3.2

Which should allow you to add other fields by 'alias' to be searched... this documentation might be slightly out of date, if there isn't an igloo.config file in the latest umbraco you might be able to set these settings via appsettings.config instead, but they would be in JSON format

Failing all that you would be able to implement your own Search implementation in a new Search Termplate... there is a 'quick start' guide in the official documentation... but if you scan it, then 'quick start' might not be the best description!

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/reference/searching/examine/quick-start

regards

marc

Mar 08, 2024 @ 22:06
    Kelly

Hi Marc,

I was able to find the advance search setting in my igloo setup and it has exactly what you showed above. Our content would be within the "widgets" alias.

Also I confirmed the data IS in the externalIndex. I rebuilt the index, but I still cannot get the search results live.

How do I find what is "rendering" the query to see what is causing the issue here?

thanks, Kelly

Mar 08, 2024 @ 15:29
    Kelly

Thank You Marc,

I am not sure if I will be able to do this myself but I will definitely review all the linked information and work with my team if I cannot do it myself.

I appreciate your help! -Kelly

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft