Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Sep 15, 2023 @ 22:55
    Carlos Mosqueda

Media file size reduction on upload, ALL versions of Umbraco

Has anyone created an package yet that compresses the size of an image file on upload?
    I saw one that integrated TinyPNG, but that creates a whole separate section on top of the media section. It seemed like a UX issue having two media pickers in the back office.

We have issues with people uploading large image files directly from their phones or cameras (some being upwards of 15mb) (and have for years), which in turn, takes up server space.

We use Slimsy to help serve up the images in a reduced way, BUT we want the image files, on upload, to be set at a max width of 1920px and compress the image sizes well BEFORE being added to the file system.

We can only do so much to tell people to use Photoshop or any other program to reduce the file sizes prior to upload.

I have see other systems like (holding my tongue), Wordpress, process and reduce file size on upload, but not in Umbraco.

I would love to see something like a compression engine or something that reduces the file size to a certain quality that would be configurable, BUT upload to the Umbraco media system like any other file, just forcibly reduced in size before writing the server's file system.

I know you can set the upload max size in a config file (Umbraco 7 and 8 in the web.config), but that is not ideal, because that puts the responsibility on someone who is not tech savvy or doesn't have photo editing skills to know how to reduce an image size prior to uploading them to Umbraco.

I would love to also see something like a Slimsy type option built right into Umbraco that is configurable in the back office as part of the predefined crop settings or an over all setting in Umbraco. Like "all images Quality: 60" or in the crop settings a "Quality" editor, or something like what Slimsy does so it doesn't serve up a bunch of pages with a bunch of images that are 15mb each.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft