Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Aug 15, 2023 @ 16:02
    Rob Watkins

Problem adding own class library to Umbraco 11 install

Hi, I have spent all day on this and I am getting nowhere. Another dev set up an Umbraco v11.4.0 site out of the box to take over from an old site, all working fine.

However the old site had a small amount of custom functionality using custom services, which needs another DLL. This is what I have been struggling with, and I have just found out it doesn't need to have any of the custom stuff to not work. Minimal case to reproduce is:

• Create a new .NET 7 class library to do this.
      • Added a NuGet reference to Umbraco 11.4.0.
      • Build.
      • Deploy to web server.

Umbraco fails to start with the following error:

Unhandled exception. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'MyClassLibrary, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'MyClassLibrary, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyName, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, AssemblyLoadContext assemblyLoadContext, RuntimeAssembly requestingAssembly, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(AssemblyName assemblyRef)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.ReferenceResolver.ResolveAssemblies()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.FindAssembliesWithReferencesTo.Find()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.DefaultUmbracoAssemblyProvider.get_Assemblies()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeFinder.GetAllAssemblies()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeFinder.GetFilteredAssemblies(IEnumerable`1 excludeFromResults, String[] exclusionFilter)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeFinder.get_AssembliesToScan()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeLoader.get_AssembliesToScan()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeLoader.<>c__DisplayClass21_0`1.<GetTypes>b__0()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeLoader.GetTypesInternalLocked(Type baseType, Type attributeType, Func`1 finder, String action, Boolean cache)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeLoader.GetTypesInternal(Type baseType, Type attributeType, Func`1 finder, String action, Boolean cache)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.Composing.TypeLoader.GetTypes[T](Boolean cache, IEnumerable`1 specificAssemblies)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.DependencyInjection.UmbracoBuilderExtensions.AddAllCoreCollectionBuilders(IUmbracoBuilder builder)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.DependencyInjection.UmbracoBuilder.AddCoreServices()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Core.DependencyInjection.UmbracoBuilder..ctor(IServiceCollection services, IConfiguration config, TypeLoader typeLoader, ILoggerFactory loggerFactory, IProfiler profiler, AppCaches appCaches, IHostingEnvironment hostingEnvironment)
       at Umbraco.Extensions.UmbracoBuilderExtensions.AddUmbraco(IServiceCollection services, IWebHostEnvironment webHostEnvironment, IConfiguration config)
       at my_umbraco_v11.Startup.ConfigureServices(IServiceCollection services) in C:\Temp\Projects\my_umbraco_v11\my_umbraco_v11\Startup.cs:line 32
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Void** arguments, Signature sig, Boolean isConstructor)
       at System.Reflection.MethodInvoker.Invoke(Object obj, IntPtr* args, BindingFlags invokeAttr)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureServicesBuilder.InvokeCore(Object instance, IServiceCollection services)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureServicesBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<Invoke>g__Startup|0(IServiceCollection serviceCollection)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureServicesBuilder.Invoke(Object instance, IServiceCollection services)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureServicesBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<Build>b__0(IServiceCollection services)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostBuilder.UseStartup(Type startupType, HostBuilderContext context, IServiceCollection services, Object instance)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<UseStartup>b__0(HostBuilderContext context, IServiceCollection services)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostBuilder.InitializeServiceProvider()
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostBuilder.Build()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Hosting.UmbracoHostBuilderDecorator.Build()
       at my_umbraco_v11.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Temp\Projects\my_umbraco_v11\my_umbraco_v11\Program.cs:line 6

I can't see any dependencies which might be the problem; the site works fine without this and immediately fails when it's put in with all the other DLLs, so clearly it's finding it in some way to then fail when it can't find it.

Permissions all seem correct - all DLLs have the same RX access for the app pool.

Found this appsettings change on another thread but that doesn't help:

"TypeFinder": {
        "AssembliesAcceptingLoadExceptions": "*"
      }

...and now I've run out of ideas. Help!

Before I got down to the minimal case, I had another common library in there which gave the same error - this common library works perfectly on an another site, however, on that one, the Umbraco install has been built with it as a reference, not simply added to the assemblies folder.

• Steffen Hornbæk Nielsen 42 posts 133 karma points
    Aug 16, 2023 @ 12:26
    Steffen Hornbæk Nielsen

Hi Rob,

How are you deploying to the web server (FTP, Publish etc.)

If you use the Publish tool, then you might want to check the .csproj file, to see if all files are included in build and publish.

I have fallen for this trap before, and this is normaly what does it.

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Aug 17, 2023 @ 07:04
    Rob Watkins

Just deploying via FTP; so build in VS then upload the DLLs to the web server.

I solved my immediate problem for this site by just regenerating the templates and rebuilding the main assembly with my custom functionality as a reference which worked but I'd still like to be able to just add side-by-side functionality by just uploading assemblies without linking!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft