Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tobias 13 posts 85 karma points
    Mar 21, 2023 @ 09:05
    Tobias

No controller/action found by name Render.Index

Since moving to Umbraco 10 (and now 11), I often get this strange error when debugging locally. I've searched in the forum and it seems like no one has reported the exact same error message.

The solution is always a good old fashioned restart of my PC, then the error goes away.

But I would really like to know why this is occuring. Has anyone perhaps more info regarding this?

System.InvalidOperationException: No controller/action found by name Render.Index
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Website.Routing.UmbracoRouteValuesFactory.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<.ctor>b__1()
       at System.Lazy`1.ViaFactory(LazyThreadSafetyMode mode)
       at System.Lazy`1.ExecutionAndPublication(LazyHelper executionAndPublication, Boolean useDefaultConstructor)
       at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Website.Routing.UmbracoRouteValuesFactory.CreateAsync(HttpContext httpContext, IPublishedRequest request)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Website.Routing.UmbracoRouteValueTransformer.TransformAsync(HttpContext httpContext, RouteValueDictionary values)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Routing.DynamicControllerEndpointMatcherPolicy.ApplyAsync(HttpContext httpContext, CandidateSet candidates)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Routing.Matching.DfaMatcher.SelectEndpointWithPoliciesAsync(HttpContext httpContext, IEndpointSelectorPolicy[] policies, CandidateSet candidateSet)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Routing.EndpointRoutingMiddleware.<Invoke>g__AwaitMatch|8_1(EndpointRoutingMiddleware middleware, HttpContext httpContext, Task matchTask)
       at StackExchange.Profiling.MiniProfilerMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context) in C:\projects\dotnet\src\MiniProfiler.AspNetCore\MiniProfilerMiddleware.cs:line 119
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.UmbracoRequestMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.UmbracoRequestMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Builder.UseMiddlewareExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass6_1.<<UseMiddlewareInterface>b__1>d.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.PreviewAuthenticationMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Builder.UseMiddlewareExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass6_1.<<UseMiddlewareInterface>b__1>d.MoveNext()
       at Umbraco.Cms.Web.Common.Middleware.UmbracoRequestLoggingMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at SeoToolkit.Umbraco.Redirects.Core.Middleware.RedirectMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
       at SeoToolkit.Umbraco.RobotsTxt.Core.Middleware.RobotsTxtMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context)
       at SeoToolkit.Umbraco.Sitemap.Core.Middleware.SitemapMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext context, ISitemapGenerator sitemapGenerator, ISitemapIndexGenerator sitemapIndexGenerator)
       at SixLabors.ImageSharp.Web.Middleware.ImageSharpMiddleware.Invoke(HttpContext httpContext, Boolean retry)
       at Umbraco.Forms.Web.HttpModules.ProtectFormUploadRequestsMiddleware.InvokeAsync(HttpContext context, RequestDelegate next)
       at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.DeveloperExceptionPageMiddlewareImpl.Invoke(HttpContext context)

• Isaiah Pellarp 19 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 29, 2023 @ 11:55
    Isaiah Pellarp

I have been getting the same error locally every now and then. The only solution (mind you, not a proper solution) has been to:

• Clean&Rebuild (works 10% of the time)
    • Close and restart Visual Studio (works about 20% of the time)
    • or restart my computer (usually solves it)

But the problem still persists and comes back after maybe 1-2 days. If anybody else knows why this is happening, or how to prevent/solve it any help would be appreciated!

• John DeSpirito 10 posts 80 karma points
    Apr 06, 2023 @ 17:10
    John DeSpirito

I've just run afoul of this error as well. I tried cleaning & rebuilding, restarting VS, and restarting my pc, but no luck. It seemingly came out of nowhere.

Bumping this post hoping someone has any insight on this.

• Chris Spanellis 45 posts 189 karma points
    May 03, 2023 @ 19:37
    Chris Spanellis

I cleaned, but then deleted the bin and obj folders in my Umbraco project, and that seemed to do the trick.

May 22, 2023 @ 06:00
    Tobias

I'm marking this as the solution since this always works for me.

Would however still be great if someone can explain this error more in depth. I always get it when making configuration changes in appsettings, changes in startup.cs or nuget updates.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    May 17, 2023 @ 19:18
    Steve Morgan

Do you have your solution broken up into separate code and website projects? I did - had this and a different issue.

Seems to have gone away now I've just got a single project.

May 22, 2023 @ 14:24
    Tobias

Yes, I have. Can't switch to single project though. We're a large organization with many dependencies.

Good point though!

• Benjamin kakar 3 posts 73 karma points
    Aug 04, 2023 @ 07:15
    Benjamin kakar

im also getting this issue, what is going on? anyone with solution to this?

• Chris Spanellis 45 posts 189 karma points
    Aug 04, 2023 @ 17:25
    Chris Spanellis

Have you tried my solution above?

• Akram Shaker 1 post 71 karma points
    Nov 29, 2023 @ 11:14
    Akram Shaker

I had the same issue also and cleaning then rebuilding resolved the issue. Can't figure out the cause still though.

• roger malik 16 posts 78 karma points
    Jan 25, 2024 @ 12:49
    roger malik

My workaround is to remove the additional project from the VS solution and start it. Then stop debugging and re-add the additional project and re-reference it. On re-start it runs correctly apart from an error with recognising the IWebHostEnvironment MapPathWebRoot function.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jan 26, 2024 @ 10:14
    Steve Morgan

Since I've stopped trying to break up into different projects I've not experienced this issue again.

Try this and see if it stops for you too.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft