Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Jan 11, 2023 @ 12:38
    Rob Watkins

Installing Umbraco 11 image

What is the simplest way to install v11 on IIS? There doesn't seem to be any images available.

Previous versions, for basic websites, we have just got the image, uploaded it to the live server, and then built the templates and content.

v11, there doesn't seem to be any way of doing this? All the documentation seems to be based around the fact that you create a VS project, faff around with your NuGet packages, build, publish and upload.

This seems total overkill for a site that is purely content based. We don't need a VS solution, don't need to modify code and build assemblies, we just need an installed and working blank Umbraco install to build the CMS templates and content - as with every previous version!

Am I missing something here? Is there a v11 image I can just get and do this with?

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 11, 2023 @ 17:37
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Rob,

There isn't a download like there was for .Net framework versions of Umbraco. The closest thing I can think of is 3 dotnet commands (assuming you have .Net7 installed).

Create a folder then run these

dotnet new install Umbraco.Templates
    dotnet new umbraco -n "MyProject"
    dotnet publish "MyProject" --output "FilesToDeploy"

You will end up with 2 folders, the "FilesToDeploy" folder should contain everything that IIS (ensure you have the .net7 hosting pack installed) should need to run so you can zip it and upload, it should run the installer wizard on the first run.

Hope that helps you!

Jeavon

Jan 12, 2023 @ 11:10
    Rob Watkins

Should that install be an argument? I.e. dotnet new --install Umbraco.Templates

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 12, 2023 @ 12:02
    Jeavon Leopold

That's the old/deprecated way

dotnet new install

Is correct

Jan 13, 2023 @ 14:47
    Rob Watkins

Okay thanks to Jeavon I have got this working; there's a few catches though so here is what I did in case it helps anyone else.

Procedure for getting basic Umbraco v11 working on a remote (e.g. live) server:

Note: These instructions will create a generic image called Umbraco11 that you can upload as different applications if you just want to use the Umbraco CMS functions on a website - i.e. you don't need a VS solution to write additional custom code into the application.

1) Ensure you have the latest Visual Studio on your local machine (mine is VS2022 17.4.4)

2) Ensure you have the .NET Core 7 Hosting bundle on your remote machine (mine is 7.0.2)

3) On the remote machine, create your IIS site folder, site, and AppPool with .NET CLR Version set to No Managed Code as per the Umbraco instructions

4) Create a folder on your local machine to build the image

5) Switch to this folder and run the commands as per Jeavon's instructions:

dotnet new install Umbraco.Templates 
    dotnet new umbraco -n "Umbraco11" 
    dotnet publish "Umbraco11" --output "DEPLOY"

DEPLOY now contains NEARLY a runnable image; in order to make it runnable a couple of additional folders need to be created to allow write permissions to be set

6) Create folders DEPLOY/umbraco and DEPLOY/Smidge

7) Upload the contents of DEPLOY to your destination IIS folder on the remote server

8) Assuming an application identity of umbraco11, set the following permission on the remote server folder:

icacls . /grant "IIS AppPool\umbraco11":(OI)(CI)RX
    icacls Smidge /grant "IIS AppPool\umbraco11":(OI)(CI)MF
    icacls umbraco /grant "IIS AppPool\umbraco11":(OI)(CI)MF
    icacls Views /grant "IIS AppPool\umbraco11":(OI)(CI)MF
    icacls wwwroot /grant "IIS AppPool\umbraco11":(OI)(CI)MF
    icacls appsettings* /grant "IIS AppPool\umbraco11":(OI)(CI)MF  

Permissions note - for some reason, possibly me being dumb, the icacls commands didn't work on the appsettings files (even though it said it succeeded) so I have to use Windows Explorer to change these. Check the permissions after they've been set!

9) Restart website and hopefully you can now set up Umbraco!

Note - Of course if using SQL Server you'll need a blank database and credentials with dbo permissions on that to point the installer at.

Note 2 - You can get rid of the runtimes you aren't using to save space; on our x64 Server I deleted everything except win, win-x86 and win-x64 - it was using files in all of these so it clearly needs all three.

Note 3 - this gets Umbraco up and running on .NET Core only; if you want a mixed site using old Framework code then you need to set the App Pool to a CLR version, not No Managed Code

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft