Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave 3 posts 74 karma points
    Jul 27, 2022 @ 12:52
    Dave

We've had this error where we get this message: Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed.

-> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\xxxxxx\App_Data\TEMP\NuCache\NuCache.Content.db' because it is being used by another process.

Log file shows this error before it:

Panic, exception while loading cache data.","@l":"Fatal","@x":"System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.NuCache.PublishedSnapshotService.LoadEntitiesFromLocalDbLocked

Now after looking on the internet lots and researching it, the issue is caused if the cmsContentNu table has an entry with a data field size over 1mil characters.

You do have a problem where Umbraco cannot read from the cache it creates. I can clear out that entry in the table and clear the temp files and it will work until the publish database cache is recreated then it will do it again on website restart.

Deleting the offending node from the cms also sorts out the issue, but that suggests Umbraco cannot cope with pages with a lot of content.

This is on Umbraco 8.17.2. I thought I'd raise it here in case you have not fixed this in later Umbraco versions.

• Chris Mahoney 235 posts 447 karma points
    16 days ago
    Chris Mahoney

I ran into a similar issue this morning so wanted to document it here, since this is pretty much the only search result for the error message.

In my case the site was on 10.8.5 and I'd cleared the TEMP directory for unrelated reasons. Umbraco then failed to boot, with the "Panic, exception while loading cache data." and "Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. (Parameter 'length')" errors in the log.

In this particular case it wasn't cmsContentNu at all: truncating that table as a test produced a number of other errors but didn't fix the initial one. I eventually truncated umbracoDocument out of desperation, and Umbraco then started working. Eventually I was able to track down five specific records that caused the failure.

With those records deleted the nodes still show up in Umbraco but can't be opened or deleted. I recovered the HTML out of umbracoPropertyData then deleted the broken records out of umbracoNode (there are a few other tables FKd to this that need to be tidied up too).

I was then able to recreate the problematic pages and save them with the recovered HTML. I've lost the edit history, but that's not really an issue with this particular site.

Hopefully this helps someone :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft