Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Hall 15 posts 86 karma points
    Mar 17, 2021 @ 12:03
    Chris Hall

Hosting Multiple Umbraco Instances of same site in different datacenters

Hi,

I have a client site with multiple translations, however they require hosting to be within the target countries. e.g. co.uk hosted in UK datacentre and .fr in French datacentre (for SEO).

I can't personally see any reason why I can't have a single database and multiple language variants configured as per usual, but then have 3 client Umbraco instances running in separate datacenters.

In my eyes this is similar to when I normally develop sites within the agency I work for, we will set up DB and a development instance on a dev server, then multiple dev's will work on their local machine instances and content updates will be normally made via the central server.

I've never encountered issues with this setup

There's no requirement for sharing sessions etc.

Lets assume clients will edit on the respective culture bound domain instance, so needing to sync media between the instances can be minimised.

Does anyone know of any possible reasons why this is definitely a bad idea, that should be avoided at all costs? Or should it be plain sailing?

Thanks!

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 19, 2021 @ 09:51
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Chris,

This is possible. Make sure you read the how to set your website up for a loadbalanced environment.

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/Load-Balancing/

Important to know is that only one server should be used for content editing.

If you cache Umbraco data in your website coding, you should hook in to the cache refresher events to clear it on publish.

Dave

• Chris Hall 15 posts 86 karma points
    Mar 19, 2021 @ 10:27
    Chris Hall

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response! :)

As users aren't being bounced between servers, is there a reason for needing to configure for load-balancing still?

In this scenario say co.uk users will solely use the uk hosted instance and .fr users will solely use the france hosted instance.

Thanks, Chris

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 19, 2021 @ 10:36
    Dave Woestenborghs

If you have single database you need to have a master server where the content editing is done.

It is explained in the loadbalancing docs.

You also need a central media storage. For example blobstorage for all the media items.

If you want users only to be able to edit content per language (so french users to .fr and english users to .co.uk)

You will need a database per website instance.

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft