Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rosa 17 posts 121 karma points
    Jun 11, 2020 @ 17:43
    Rosa

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to Umbraco so please forgive my ignorance. When I try to run my site, I'm getting this error in Visual Studio: Visual Studio Code error

As you can see, I'm getting an error against all the XML and PDB files in my bin folder:

Bin folder contents

When I click 'Continue' in VS the error is coming up like so in my browser: Error on Chrome after clicking 'Continue' in VS

I've checked the logs and they show nothing helpful.

I have been all over the web to try and fix this, to the point where I can't actually remember how it happened in the first place.

Desperate for some help as it's been melting my head! Any assistance much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 11, 2020 @ 18:07
    Robert Foster

Hi Rosa,

The pdb issues is more than likely a red herring - your actual issue is described in the YSOD in the browser:

Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details

The log file can be found in the /App_Data/logs directory.

Further to this, it says:

-> Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: A connection string is configured but Umbraco could not connect to the database.

This would indicate that you haven't set the connection string correctly - are you attempting to connect to an Azure database, or another server? Have you checked the firewall permissions for the database?

• Rosa 17 posts 121 karma points
    Jun 12, 2020 @ 09:19
    Rosa

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply. I already checked the logs and they do not provide any useful info as to the issue.

I'm just connecting the OOTB Umbraco DB - I've not touched any of the connection strings in the web config - that's why that YSOD error is so confusing to me!

If I think back, I had been changing between 'PureLive' and 'Dll' in the web config's ModelsMode as I didn't know how to generate models in my solution. I then deleted the contents of the App_Data folder, which I assumed was okay to do - could this be the source of my problem?

Regards, Rosa

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 12, 2020 @ 19:53
    Robert Foster

Hi Rosa,

That would do it; the default Umbraco database is the Umbraco.sdf file in the /App_Data directory.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft