Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Apr 07, 2020 @ 07:58
    Paul Griffiths

Inserting media images into Rich Text Editor [V8]

Hi,

Whilst using Umbraco version 8.5.4 I am attempting to insert an image (from the media section) into the Rich text area.

enter image description here

In the choose media pane if i select the image it will show me the image and allow me to add an alt tag - however the 'select' button is greyed out (even with alt text entered)

If i select the image text the 'select' button is still greyed out

I appreciate that i can drag the image into the RTE (which works) but from what i can see there is still no way i can provide an alt tag from the UI or add an image using this method?

Am i missing something really obvious and need more coffee :) ?

Thank you

• Julien Kulker 75 posts 427 karma points c-trib
    Apr 07, 2020 @ 09:28
    Julien Kulker

Well i don't know exactly what is wrong maybe you have some custom rights on the nodes?

What i do see that where your screen has a select button mine has a submit button.

Apr 07, 2020 @ 09:38
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your response. What version of Umbraco are you using ?

This is an out the box v8 install which i'm currently developing on locally so to my knowledge no access rights have been assigned.

The only difference is... i imported the doc type from another project but ive tried adding a RTE to a new doc type and get the same issue.

Happy to try things as this is local

Thanks Paul

Apr 07, 2020 @ 10:07
    Julien Kulker

Same out of the box version. The only difference is that i have Edit Image and you select image.

So that is why i thinking about a issue with rights. That somehow you don't have rights to edit that image.

Apr 08, 2020 @ 10:55
    Julien Kulker

maybe this patch will fix things for you: https://umbraco.com/blog/umbraco-86-release/

Apr 09, 2020 @ 19:21
    Paul Griffiths

Hey Julien,

Sorry for the delayed response, i have been away from my computer.

Ive just upgraded to version 8.6 and its not resolved the issue.

My user is an admin and from what i can see there are no access issues.

I am seeing this appear in the console when i select the image ?

So, i never see the greyed out 'select' button turn to submit but if i press 'enter' on the keyboard it will insert it. A work around for now at least but not really editor friendly.

Thanks for your responses and efforts trying to help

thanks Paul

Apr 10, 2020 @ 12:32
    Paul Griffiths

Hi,

Just a further update to this if anyone can please help?

I have installed a fresh copy of v 8.6 and it works. So i have two instances of 8.6 (one upgraded) and one works and one doesn't.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the file\logic that makes this little piece of functionality work so that i can do a compare on the files.

Thank you

Apr 11, 2020 @ 10:30
    Paul Griffiths

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend anything ? Otherwise i'm tempted to start over (quite a bit of work). It doesn't fill me with confident that there might be more underlying issues which i don't really want to face further down the line.

I've done loads of file comparisons against a version that works fine and nothing stands out, there is nothing in the umbraco specific files that is different.

Ive also installed all the same packages (same versions) into the project that works and i don't see the problem.

I think the cod ethat loads int the panel is in

Umbraco\Js\umbraco.controllers.js & Umbraco\Views\components\buttons\umb-button.html.

Ive tried busting the clinet dependency by updating the version and no luck. Really hitting a brick wall with this one.

Has anyone please got any further recommendations of what i can try to get this to work ?

Thanks Paul

• Alex 18 posts 90 karma points
    Apr 11, 2020 @ 13:32
    Alex

Hi Paul,

Can you delete all AppData before running the web site and see what happens?

I have a feeling that there is something tricky going on with the cache files. Maybe.

Apr 11, 2020 @ 13:52
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response, i had the same feeling but i only deleted temp within APPData. Having said that, i have just deleted the entire contents of AppData and it hasn't fixed the issue.

Anything else you can think of :) ?

Thank you

Apr 11, 2020 @ 13:57
    Alex

Since you have gone through file comparisons my next guess is the DB.

Why don't you try to compare your dbs? This Doc import might have caused the problem?

Apr 11, 2020 @ 13:59
    Alex

Also make sure you have deleted the browser cache files. Try it in another browser or in incognito mode.

Apr 11, 2020 @ 14:15
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Alex,

I don't think its a cache issue as i have the same issue in other browsers and in incognito mode. It interesting that you mention document type import because i did import some doc types into this project.

Where in the database should i be focusing please? and what can i use to to compare please?

Also, i did try create a new doc type from scratch and add a RTE to it, i get the same issue. The doc import did cross my mind but with having the same issue with a new type i stopped concentrating on that path.

Thank for your responses :)

Paul

Apr 11, 2020 @ 14:36
    Alex

This is how you compare/update db's in VS 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6eg0ka8FUg&t=52s

Tools/SqlServer/New Data or New Schema Comparison

But before that, can you please replace your UMBRACO folder with one from a healthy installation (same version). And if it does not work the BIN folder as well.

I know you have done the files comparison but still... Just to be sure.

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 11, 2020 @ 15:29
    Paul Seal

Hi Paul Try deleting the contents of your Umbraco folder and replace it with the one from the fresh install of 8.6

Cheers

Paul

Apr 11, 2020 @ 15:36
    Paul Griffiths

Hi both,

Iv'e tried everything and no luck.

My 'broken' site is currently using the new Umbraco files (8.6) and ive also overwritten all the dll's generated from the working solution build.

I used the DB compare and from what i can see nothing seems to obvious (although ive never used this before or messed around with the Umbraco DB)

I appreciate its not that big of an issue but im concerned that there may be other issues further on down the line when i have even more to unstitch or build. I'm leaning towards a rebuild.. A little frustrating and i bet its something stupid and obvious ha

Thanks for your efforts so far.

Paul

• Saif Obeidat 79 posts 296 karma points
    Apr 11, 2020 @ 18:41
    Apr 12, 2020 @ 07:56
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Saif,

Thank you for your response. I tried both of the temp fixes in the post you shared and neither worked unfortunately. I completed the following

• Added the fix in Umbraco\Js\umbraco.controllers.js
    • Cleaned my solution (to remove a all dlls)
    • Delete the App_Data folder

I really don't understand how it can work with one solution and not the other despite the core Umbraco files being identical.

I' running out of ideas and starting to think that i have a bad install. Reluctant to continue developing against it but Iv'e done quite a bit of local work. But i think at this point I would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks Paul

• Saif Obeidat 79 posts 296 karma points
    Apr 12, 2020 @ 08:14
    Saif Obeidat

Have you tried to change the ClientDependency version number?

Apr 12, 2020 @ 08:20
    Paul Griffiths

Ok, I have a break through!

I am able to replicate the issue on the 'working' copy and break it!

Despite installing all the same packages and having identical package.config files i forgot that i installed the Our.Umbraco.Matryoshka package via that package installer in the back office.

I have just installed this (so it exists in App_plugins) and boom i can replicate the issue. So there is something in here that is causing the problem. I might reach out to Soren to see if he can help unless you or anyone can suggest a fix :)?

So happy to have found the offender, i can progress now! Really don't want to get rid of Matryoshka, its a fantastic package - hopefully it can be resolved.

If you install this package on version 8.6 you should replicate my issue.

Thanks

Apr 12, 2020 @ 09:52
    Paul Griffiths

Hi

I opened a bug on the package github https://github.com/skttl/our-umbraco-matryoshka/issues/14 and was pointed to the following useful post

https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/doc-type-grid-editor/doc-type-grid-editor-feedback/101467-select-image-disasbled

Unfortunately this work around did not fix my issue. For me I updated the the following line

Tried to using incognito, clearing cache and client dependency etc. but still not fixing the issue :(

Apr 12, 2020 @ 14:05
    Paul Griffiths

Hi,

This issue is now fixed.

Thank you to Soren for taking a look and resolving so quickly :)

https://github.com/skttl/our-umbraco-matryoshka/commit/25aff5b01a6df758668d6c7758022a3b8d5fa523

Thanks to everyone who responded :)

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft