Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 22:43
    Nicholas Westby

Possible to Avoid Storing Data for Umbraco Forms Entries?

I may be working on a project that will have some forms created with Umbraco Forms. However one requirement is that data never be stored for entries submitted through those forms (instead, they will be stored via an API, which I will probably do using a custom workflow step).

I was thinking a custom Datasource could accomplish this (e.g., the "Store Nowhere Datasource"), but I'm not even sure what a datasource is, as the documentation for it results in a 404: https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Products/UmbracoForms/Editor/Creating-Forms-Based-on-Datasources/ (linked from https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Products/UmbracoForms/Editor/)

I would like to avoid doing something weird like creating a database trigger that deletes the data after it has been inserted (I am unsure if that would cause some unintended side-effect, such as storing the data in the transaction log). Is this possible with Umbraco Forms?

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 23:52
    Nathan Woulfe

Not sure how it works in Forms vs Contour, but in the latter the forms are run through some Javascript validation before calling the $.submit() function - could replace the submit with a call to an API endpoint instead.

That's in /umbraco/plugins/umbracocontour/scripts/frontend/contourform.js - file might not even exist in Forms.

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 23:55
    Nathan Woulfe

There's also a workflow option to post form to URL, but I'm not sure if that still persists a copy in Umbraco

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 09, 2015 @ 04:34
    Nicholas Westby

Yes, using different workflow steps will store the records to Contour (and I assume Umbraco Forms is the same).

And I'd like to avoid subverting parts of Contour, so I'd like to avoid posting to my own controller/action method (e.g., I'd lose server-side validation and workflow steps).

What I'd really like to know is if anybody knows what Datasources are and if they'd be suitable to avoid storing form submissions to the database.

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Jul 09, 2015 @ 17:22
    Matthew Kirschner

I'm guessing that Datasources gives you the ability to pre-populate fields (such as selects and radios) based on a custom database source that you supply. If that's the case, then you're definitely barking up the wrong tree there.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft