Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rune Grønkjær 1371 posts 3102 karma points
    Oct 01, 2013 @ 14:04
    Rune Grønkjær

IE10 export csv error

I have found an issue when using the data export function in IE10. The file contains a bunch of html instead of the data.

Im running Umbraco v6.1.1 (Yes I know. Upgrade it now. And I will)
    And contour v3.0.16

The file can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyb8ejdufq13m1i/Contact Formula_01102013_export.csvc

Everything works perfectly in other browsers.

/Rune

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 01, 2013 @ 15:40

Yeah looks like that exported the actual page markup instead of the csv, will check how this can be fixed, thanks for reporting :)

Oct 01, 2013 @ 15:51

Added to our issue tracker and set to next maintenance release http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-445

Oct 02, 2013 @ 08:23
    Rune Grønkjær

Sweet. Thanks Tim.

/Rune

Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:11

Hmm can't reproduce tried with IE10 but getting the correct data, anymore details you can share?

Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:27
    Rune Grønkjær

That's weird. Here's a screencast of me replicating the error. I can do it every time:

http://www.screencast.com/users/runegronkjaer/folders/Jing/media/cadb5dc3-3350-4d38-a9cd-07664d7aac53

Maybe that can help.

Also the solution is almost vanilla Umbraco. All the custom stuff I have is a couple of contour workflow plugins we made ourselves, and a umbraco base implementation with a few methods.

/Rune

Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:30

Ok any chance you can send me the site (files and db) you can mail to tg at umbraco dot com

Thanks, Tim

Oct 03, 2013 @ 13:19
    Rune Grønkjær

Two drop box links on the way.

/Rune

Oct 04, 2013 @ 09:45

Got it running locally but export works fine in IE 10, can you replicate it locally?

This is the version I tried it with enter image description here

Oct 04, 2013 @ 09:46

So not sure how to fix if I can't reproduce :(

Oct 04, 2013 @ 13:46
    Rune Grønkjær

Exactly the same version as mine.

I will try and run it locally here. Thanks for trying :)

I'll get back if I find a solutions!

/Rune

Oct 04, 2013 @ 14:14

Yeah not sure what this can be :(

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Oct 17, 2013 @ 12:35
    Dan Diplo

Just to say we've got this problem in IE10 with a client. It works fine in Chrome. It seems to occur when there is quite a lot of data to export.

Oct 17, 2013 @ 12:52
    Rune Grønkjær

Not just me then :) That's always nice to know.

I have not yet had time to test it on my local machine like Tim suggested.

/Rune

Oct 21, 2013 @ 10:11

@Dan do you have any details on how to reproduce since I tried with same version and...

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 11:20
    Dan Diplo

Tim - yeah, I realise it's a pain trying to fix something you can't replicate. All I can really say is that the problem only manifests itself in IE when there are a lot of records to be exported. So in Contour if I export records for last "24 hours" in IE10 it works fine, but if I chose "Month" then it fails - presumably because there are a lot more records.

It's not a timeout thing as we've bumped this up in web.config (and, besides, the same month export works in Chrome and FireFox). For instance, the form with a problem has around 1700 rows (and is 1,812KB in size as CSV when exported from Chrome).

I've tried IE10 in IE9 compatability modes, but this hasn't helped.

What happens in IE10 when exporting monthly is this:

You click 'Export' and nothing apparently happens. Then, after a while, you get the dialogue to save the file appear. You click 'Save' and IE responds 'xxx.csv couldn't be downloaded'. If you click 'Retry' then it does download a file, but when you view it then it's the HTML source to the download page, which looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">     

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >      
    <head><title>       

</title><link rel="stylesheet" href="css/dialogs.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />     

<style>       

#dialogcontainer        
        {       
            width: 570px;       
    "       height:380px;"      
    "       overflow:auto;"     
        }       
        </style>      

</head>       
    <body>        
        <div id="dialogcontainer">        
        <form method="post" action="/umbraco/plugins/umbracoContour/exportFormEntriesDialog.aspx?guid=109cc88b-d6e5-4a44-a170-423bb5c13d73" id="form1">       
    <div class="aspNetHidden">        
    <input type="hidden" name="__EVENTTARGET" id="__EVENTTARGET" value="" />      
    <input type="hidden" name="__EVENTARGUMENT" id="__EVENTARGUMENT" value="" />      
    <input type="hidden" name="__LASTFOCUS" id="__LASTFOCUS" value="" />      
    <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="/wEPDwUKLTU3NzAzOTk2NA9kFgICAxBkZBYCAgEPEGQPFgRmAgECAgIDFgQQBQZDaG9vc2VlZxAFCENTViBGaWxlBSQ5NGVkMTA1YS04N2IzLTRlMWYtOTdjYi05YTMyMGFlZTI3NDVnEAUKSFRNTCB0YWJsZQUkMmI3MDNkNjktZWViOC00MzE0LThmZDctM2UzNWFjYTFmYmM0ZxAFCFhtbCBGaWxlBSQ5NjY3NGM0MS0zNjVkLTQ0Y2ItYTRjNy05MGY3MTM2MDI4ZTdnZGRkC5pbdr9uabE/2R0qiuOBTqQKAOF5kVjdJKHtPDyGn7s=" />      
    </div>        

<script type="text/javascript">       
    //<![CDATA[      
    var theForm = document.forms['form1'];      
    if (!theForm) {     
        theForm = document.form1;       
    }       
    function __doPostBack(eventTarget    eventArgument) {   
        if (!theForm.onsubmit || (theForm.onsubmit() != false)) {       
            theForm.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget;      
            theForm.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;      
            theForm.submit();       
        }       
    }       
    //]]>        
    </script>     

<h1>Export Entries</h1>     

<div>     
            <div class="propertypane">        

<div class="propertyItem" style="">       
                <div class="propertyItemheader">Export Type</div> <div class="propertyItemContent"><select name="dd_exportTypes" onchange="javascript:setTimeout(&#39;__doPostBack(\&#39;dd_exportTypes\&#39;  \&#39;\&#39;)&#39;   0)" id="dd_exportTypes">
    "   <option selected=""selected"" value="""">Choose</option>"       
    "   <option value=""94ed105a-87b3-4e1f-97cb-9a320aee2745"">CSV File</option>"       
    "   <option value=""2b703d69-eeb8-4314-8fd7-3e35aca1fbc4"">HTML table</option>"     
    "   <option value=""96674c41-365d-44cb-a4c7-90f7136028e7"">Xml File</option>"       

</select>   </div>      
                </div>        

<div class="propertyPaneFooter">-</div>     
            </div>                

<div class="dialogcontrols">     

<a href="javascript:parent.CloseExportFormEntriesDialog();">Close</a>       
             </div>       

</div>        
        </form>       
        </div>        
    </body>       
    </html>       

If there's any more info you require, let me know. I can possibly set you up with a login to the site, if needed? It's a commercial site, though, so can't really give you the DB or anything.
  • Ric Carey 50 posts 93 karma points
    Jul 13, 2015 @ 10:34
    Ric Carey

If anyone encounters this again, which i just have on IE11 - it can be solved by increasing <jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="1000000" /> in the web config.

• Adam Lee 1 post 71 karma points
    Aug 07, 2015 @ 07:10
    Adam Lee

I encounter this issue too. I am using IE 11 (11.0.9600.17914) and I can reproduce this issue by inserting bulk records (around 2 MB).

But the behavior is IE interrupts the export request (it shows "This file couldn't be downloaded" in View Downloads), and if you click retry, IE just GET the URL, not POST the request.

so I can only receive the html code as csv content.

Regarding my testing, if the size of data is bigger than 600KB, you will encounter this issue. And yes, increasing jsonSerialization seems work. But if the size of data is more than 2 MB, increasing jsonSerialization is not working. IE always interrupts the request when the Received(B) is around 1,200,000 to 1,300,000.

and I try to use Fiddler to check it, but with Fiddler, it works fine again.

I found a discussion and a article about IE download issue.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16655566/ie-10-file-download-issues/16842173#16842173

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/07/16/content-length-and-transfer-encoding-validation-in-ie10-download-manager-couldnt-be-downloaded-retry-cancel.aspx

but I can't verify.

any update from contour? (our contour version is 3.0.21)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft