Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chuck Kirklen 36 posts 184 karma points
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 21:15
    Chuck Kirklen

Formatting email to sender in a workflow?

[Edited after discovering partial answer] In Umbraco 7.3.1 and Umbraco Forms 4.2.1, I have added a workflow step to generate an acknowledgment email to the sender and it appears to be sending a copy of the form fields to the email entered on the registration form.

Is there a way to suppress the automatic list of fields that the form contains? I can add HTML in the Message block of the workflow step, but i'd like to exclude some fields on the form from that email (some of which are hidden).

If it's not possible to keep the whole list of fields from being displayed, I'd at least like to change the order in which they are displayed.

Thanks in advance for direction.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 22:07
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Chuck

Yes you can format the e-mail as you like it, and only output the fields that you want.

What you need to is to use the XSLT e-mail workflow

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Add-ons/UmbracoForms/Editor/Attaching-Workflows/

Then you need to attach an XSLT file where you are output the fields that you want.

You can find a example of the XSLT file in /App_Plugins/UmbracoForms/Xslt/sendXsltEmailSample.xslt

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Mar 29, 2016 @ 12:59
    Chuck Kirklen

Dennis, Perfect - exactly what i needed. Thanks! Chuck

• Mads Sørensen 188 posts 433 karma points
    May 26, 2016 @ 07:05
    Mads Sørensen

Hi Dennis Where should i put the xslt file so it shows in the drop down list in umbraco forms?

May 26, 2016 @ 07:12
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mads,

If you upload the XSLT file to the media library then you should be able to pick in in the workflow in Umbraco Forms.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

May 26, 2016 @ 07:17
    Mads Sørensen

Ahhh, stupid of me :)

Well i works and i get an email. But it looks terrible.

enter image description here

May 26, 2016 @ 07:33
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mads,

Great, then you just need to style the email :-) so it looks good as it should.

/Dennis

May 26, 2016 @ 07:37
    Mads Sørensen

Thanks Dennis It looks much better now:

enter image description here

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Mar 29, 2016 @ 08:23
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Chuck,

or you can take a look at the Perplexmail-package that we've created (https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/perplexmail-for-umbraco/). This allows you to even add some styling to the mail and some other cool features.

Mar 29, 2016 @ 13:00
    Chuck Kirklen

Jeffrey, That looks awesome - i'm going to check it out as a potential replacement for a third-party newsletter on one of our clients' sites.

But i do want to experiment with it as a companion to Umbraco Forms, since it would be an alternative to XSLT ;-) Thanks for the link, Chuck

• Henning Molbaek 49 posts 99 karma points
    Apr 07, 2016 @ 08:13
    Henning Molbaek

So only way to layout your email with fields from the submitted form is via XLT? Nothing supported in the default message box besides text?

• Henning Molbaek 49 posts 99 karma points
    Apr 07, 2016 @ 10:13
    Henning Molbaek

Also, is it possible to add the submitted email as receiver of the email?

Apr 07, 2016 @ 17:12
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Henning,

You can also you use this in the default message box besides text. E.g will this syntax give your the IP address of the user that has submitted the form {record.ip}

If you have a email field with a name of Email, then you can use the syntax {emal} then the user should get a copy of the form. You just need to add it into the receiver field in the workflow.

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Add-ons/UmbracoForms/Editor/Attaching-Workflows/

If you e.g have space in your email field name, then you should skippet like these examples:

Email {email}

Enter your employment ID {enteryouremploymentid}

First & last name {firstlastname}

Your #1 job {your1job}

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 21:32
    Amir Khan

Hey Dennis, how does this work if there is multiple fields with the same name? For example I have an "Email Address" field for both primary and secondary contacts, entering just {emailaddress} doesn't seem to work and I wonder if it is because of this?

Jan 24, 2017 @ 18:12
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Amir,

You should not have multiple fields with the same name. The reason for the is that the {emailaddress} is the key to the field.

So in your case I would recommend you to call your fields primary email and secondary email

Then the keys for these two fields will be: {primaryemail} and {secondaryemail}

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jan 24, 2017 @ 18:19
    Amir Khan

Hi Dennis,

That's what I ended up doing, it was setup in groups for contact info for billing, shipping, etc so it seemed visually redundant to have it setup like below but it worked:

Billing Contact Group - Billing email - Billing address

Shipping Contact Group - Shipping email - Shipping address

I wish there were visual name and actual name that could be used, similar to creating document type properties in settings.

Thanks for your help!

Amir

• marcelh 171 posts 471 karma points
    Aug 30, 2017 @ 13:49
    marcelh

+1 Amir Khan, that would make Umbraco-Forms-life a lot easier! (just ran into this thread ;-))

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft