I'm just starting out with Umbraco.

I've tried this a few times now, I'm starting my steps are

1. Open a new empty web project in Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
    2. Installing Umbraco from Nuget
    3. Build
    4. Ctrl+F5 to open
    5. Enter Name, username and password
    6. Fails...

Looking at the previous steps it's pretty clear it's creating the database ok, no idea why this is failing.

Any ideas?

2016-01-29 20:06:30,685 [P240/D2/T11] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - Executing installation step: User
     2016-01-29 20:06:30,708 [P240/D2/T11] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - Installation step User failed.
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: sqlSyntax
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.PetaPocoRepositoryBase`2..ctor(IDatabaseUnitOfWork work, CacheHelper cache, ILogger logger, ISqlSyntaxProvider sqlSyntax)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.RepositoryFactory.CreateUserTypeRepository(IDatabaseUnitOfWork uow)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.RepositoryFactory.CreateUserRepository(IDatabaseUnitOfWork uow)
       at Umbraco.Core.Services.UserService.GetUserById(Int32 id)
       at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.NewInstallStep.Execute(UserModel user)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.ExecuteStep(InstallSetupStep step, JToken instruction)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 10:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew and welcome to our :)

You have probably already done this but need to check - Does your current system setup support the requirements listed here? https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Requirements/ and have you been reading the instructions for installing using nuget here? https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/install-umbraco-with-nuget

I just need to mention this as I feel it's a best practice and if others come across this post they might benefit from this too.

That being said and assuming everything mentioned in the documentation is in place - Have you tried checking permissions for the iusr and network service? It should be setup on the folder you're installing Umbraco in and have full access.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Matthew McCabe 2 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 19:40
    Matthew McCabe

Thanks for the welcome.

I got it working eventually, I suspect it's related to permissions as I was trying to install it on a VMware shared folder initially (running windows 10 in a VM on my mac) and then tried it in a non-shared folder and it worked ok.

If I want to try it again I'll probably do this https://communities.vmware.com/thread/524951?start=0&tstart=0

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 19:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

Happy to hear you managed to get it working and high five for sharing information that can be useful for other people too :)

Happy umbracoing!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft