Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Stigsson 47 posts 158 karma points
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 12:15
    Robert Stigsson

Change the Pointer of the Root Node

Hi!

The problem: Our site is attacked in some way, or has been hacked, or something similiar. Because of this, I want to show a site saying something like; Working on it, soon back up, or other similiar content.

The way I thought I would solve it: Unpublish the root node, and redirect to a new root node, and then when it is done, I easily can republish the normal home-node and redirect back again.

Is this a good way to handle it? Is it easily achievable? I want to be able to let a content manager (or something similiar) do this. So with a press of a button or something similiar.

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 15:48
    Mark Bowser

One possible solution is to place an app_offline.htm file in the root of your site. IIS will reroute all requests to that app_offline.htm file. I haven't tried this a lot, yet. I tested it locally, and it appeared to work. I tried using the .html extension to no avail. Make sure to use the .htm extension. One of the blog posts I was reading mentioned that if the app_offline.htm file is less than 512 bytes, IIS won't recognize it. Haven't tried that, but it is good to note.

App_Offline.html, taking the site down for maintenance
    Put website in maintenance mode

• Robert Stigsson 47 posts 158 karma points
    Sep 10, 2015 @ 11:18
    Robert Stigsson

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately I still want to use Umbraco's full support. I want to allow child pages and such things, just that I want a lot stricter access. For example, most of the forms should not work, but a contact-us form still has to work, and other information that is extremly important still has to come out.

The only thing that is on my mind for now is to have a button that change the home node through SQL-updates. Ugly? Yes! Working solution? Not sure.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft