Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Taylor 8 posts 79 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 14:06
    Paul Taylor

Multi-Geo site with Shared content, and intelligent Grid output based on geo node

Well, that thread title took some thought.

I wonder if you guys can help? I am a long time Umbraco user and forum lurker, but I haven't had to ask a question before (until now).

So, I am in the process of upgrading our corporate website to use Umbraco 7 (from v4).

Long story short, our site has multiple geographical nodes

• Global
    • UK
    • EMEA
    • USA
    • Australia

Our old site had a lot of duplicated content, because we have systems which we sell in multiple regions, i.e. the USA product can be sold in the middle east, our UK product can also be sold in Europe, our global node lists all the systems.

In the new site I have implemented shared content, using shared content placeholder document types, and IContentFinder to load in the correct shared content based on the URL. For items like News, reference sites etc I have used a Multi Node Picker to indicate which geo nodes a news story can be listed in.

This all works great.

Now I have the following issue to overcome.

On a given system page we may have a section for "Compatible Systems". The problem here is that I would only want to show the compatible systems which are available within the Geo node. As this "system" content is shared, then the page may be shown in any of the geo nodes.

What I am thinking is giving the content editor the ability to create Rows in the Grid and then indicate which geo nodes NOT to display that row (the default would be to show in all nodes).

So an editor may create a Compatible Systems row for the UK, and tick the other geo nodes so it is excluded from those. And then create a USA compatible nodes row, and tick the other nodes so that row is not displayed in those.

I know I can override the Grid render view, so I could interrogate a property when looping through each row in a section and determine if it should be output based on the current Host name.

How would I go about adding a multinode picker against the Row settings in the back office? I have worked through custom grid editors, and I know how to add settings to a Row, but I am unsure how to add a setting which is a multinode picker.

Or can anyone suggest an alternative method for show/hide sections of content on a page based on the current Host?

Thanks in advance

Paul

• Paul Taylor 8 posts 79 karma points
    Sep 02, 2015 @ 08:54
    Paul Taylor

If anyone is interested I managed to get close to what I wanted here.

Within the Grid Datatype I setup a custom setting using the treepicker view, which allows me to pick a Geo node in which I want a particular Row to appear.

I then modified the Bootstrap3.cshtml view by having it check firstly whether the property has been set. If it hasn't, then the row is rendered. if it has, then I have some logic to determine if the current Hostname matches the hostname of the node in which the row can be displayed.

This works pretty well, and means where I do need to have geo specific content in my shared content I can simply create multiple versions of a row, and tag each one for the geo node it should appear within.

• SM 2 posts 72 karma points
    Dec 11, 2015 @ 16:21
    SM

Hi Paul,

I've some kind of requirement like your first post, where i want to show pages based on geo location .Is it possible to share in details , how to achieve this in umbraco 7 ?

Thanks in advance

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft