Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sam Hewitson 7 posts 47 karma points
    May 10, 2015 @ 12:42
    Sam Hewitson

Unable to create formatting options for the 'Format' dropdown within rich text editor

Hi there, I followed a tutorial on how to set up the 'Format' dropdown within the rich text editor, but for some unknown reason it's not working.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 10, 2015 @ 13:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sam

Can you post a link to that guide? And can you tell us the exact version of Umbraco 7 that you're using? I think it's likely that the guide is perhaps outdated since there is a lot of legacy information for older versions of Umbraco floating around, which can still be relevant for people maintaining and developing on those installs.

However it should be a matter of creating a stylesheet in the backoffice of Umbraco in the "Settings" section. Right click the "Stylesheets" folder and create a new stylesheet named "rte" for instance. Then right click "rte" and create for instance a heading element for primary header called "h1" - Make sure that the alias is h1 - The name can be called something more friendly like "Primary header".

You can also add classes using the same approach - You just need to make sure that the alias is the name of the class including the dot - So the alias should be ".yourclass" without the quotes.

Once this is done you need to go to the "Developer" section and then expand the "Datatypes" folder and look for the rich text editor and click it so you can edit the settings of the rich text editor - Then you should be able to see the "rte" stylesheet. In order to be able to apply the styles from this stylesheet you need to check the box and hit save.

Now you should be able to expand the "styles" dropdown and see the different options. If they don't appear then try recycling the app pool and see if that helps any.

Hope this makes sense and that I have understood your issue correctly :)

Cheers, Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 10, 2015 @ 13:37
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Sam,

Here is a video for Umbraco 7, on how to setup styles for the rich text editor.

http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/fundamentals/stylesheets-and-javascript/setting-up-rte-styles/

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Sam Hewitson 7 posts 47 karma points
    May 10, 2015 @ 14:44
    Sam Hewitson

That's brilliant, you've fixed it. Thanks for your help!

Thanks, Sam.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 10, 2015 @ 17:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sam

You're very welcome - What was the culprit? Where did the documentation you initially followed fail? And what made the difference in my explanation? I'm curious since it should perhaps be changed or some information should be added :)

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft