Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tarunjit 103 posts 146 karma points
    Apr 06, 2015 @ 12:28
    Tarunjit

Umbraco Support For Legacy BlogEngine.Net Posts

Hi All,

We have legacy blog posts already created on BlogEngine.NET (around 700 posts). Now we want to shift from BlogEngine.Net to Umbraco7.2.1. For this we will need to import data from BlogEngine.Net database to Umbraco database.

Can any one please let us know the wayto import all the data from BlogEngine.Net database to Umbraco database?

We have done some research for Umbraco to see support for basic Blog Post elements e.g. Tag Cloud, Categories etc. but didn't find any such elements in Umbraco 7.2.1 version. Can any one please let us know if Umbraco 7.2.1 version supports these elements? If yes then where we can find these elements in Umbraco 7.2.1 version?

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 06, 2015 @ 12:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Taunjit

You should consider purchasing a license for http://soetemansoftware.nl/cmsimport - Since CMS Import makes it possible for you to map data from different sources to document types in Umbraco. So mapping those 700 posts to new Umbraco blog document types should be fairly easy. However there might be a challenge with getting images mapped - Ismail wrote about migrating from another CMS to Umbraco using CMS import back in 2010 where he handled the image challenge - You can read about it here http://thecogworks.co.uk/blog/posts/2010/november/migrating-to-umbraco-via-cms-import/ - But it might not be the same way you need to do it today but perhaps it can serve as inspiration somehow.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 06, 2015 @ 13:31
    Tarunjit

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that CMS Import is a third part tool. So we are not sure how much we can depend on this tool for future.

Is there some other inbuilt way available in Umbraco through which we can import all the blog posts from BlogEngine.Net database?

Regards

Tarunjit Singh 

Apr 06, 2015 @ 13:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tarunsjit

Yes CMSImport is a 3rd party package, which others have been using with great success. And I have also been using it myself and I absolutely love it. It makes importing data a breeze. You can start out with just using it as a trial you don't need to buy a license before you have imported more than 500 items.

I'm not aware of other options but you should of course be able to write some import/mapping logic using the Umbraco API yourself https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Management-v6/

But I think you should consider the amount of time it would take to make this yourself in comparison for the price of CMSImport.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

Apr 06, 2015 @ 14:03
    Tarunjit

Hi Jan,

Does Umbraco support basic Blog Post elements :-

• Tag Clod
    • Categories
    • Searching blog posts
    • News letter subscription
    • Setting Slug

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

Apr 06, 2015 @ 14:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tarunjit

No, Umbraco does not support anything like this out of the box - You'll need to either setup the relevant property editors on a blog post document type (Which you'll need to create and define yourself as well).

However in the Fanoe starter kit some blog functionality has been made but it's not something that is standalone and works out of the box. uBlogsy or Smartblog are 3rd party packages, which add blogging functionalities when installed.

However I don't know what is included in thee packages but you should be able to extend it.

But keep in mind that Umbraco in itself is an empty shell when you're doing a clean installation and you have the freedom to build your application and setup the backoffice so it suits your needs. So it might not always be the right fit for each type of project - It also depends on the amount of time and money in the project. If you're about to integrate the blog into an already existing site it might be worth considering keeping the blog-part on the clients current system and place the blog in blog.sitename.com and just have the website on http://website.com - But since I don't know the details of the project etc. I can't be very specific - Just mentioning it because it might be worth considering.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft